CAN SATA2 HDD's ON SATA2 PORTS IN RAID 0 EXPERIENCE BOTTLENECKS?

kwilson408

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,

I just purchased 3 WD RE4 SATA2 64MB CACHE HDD's. I plan to put them on my x79 chipset machine using SATA2 ports in a RAID 0 configuration. I realize the were talking about each drive/port being confined to 3gbps. My question is: when implementing RAID 0 on SATA2 will my whole array be confined to the 3Gbps or is that number multiplied when using RAID 0? Meaning Each Drive/Port gets its full 3Gbps thus creating a 9Gbps array.?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kenny

Solution
The load gets balanced between all the interfaces, so yeah, you would have 9Gbps at the interfaces, but those disks won't read/write fast enough to go that fast. RAID 0 will speed up the setup considerably. So, in short, you'll get the most speed out of those disks as possible and the fact that you're using SATA 2 won't be the bottleneck.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
The load gets balanced between all the interfaces, so yeah, you would have 9Gbps at the interfaces, but those disks won't read/write fast enough to go that fast. RAID 0 will speed up the setup considerably. So, in short, you'll get the most speed out of those disks as possible and the fact that you're using SATA 2 won't be the bottleneck.

Solution

kwilson408

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

So for what reason would they even make a SATA3 HDD? Marketing HYPE?

There are far faster drives then the ones you are talking about out there that will come close to saturating a SATA 3 connector. SSD's do mid 500MB/s transfers.

My current setup with 2 SSD's in a raid 0 do over 1GB/s transfers.

kwilson408

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

I do realize there are faster harddrives & SSD's out there. I use SSD for my system drive as of now. However, I am looking for speed as a secondary to reliabilty and capacity. Theres no way to get 3TB of Storage in an SSD for the price I just paid ($99.99ea) @ NewEgg... So, essentailly I'm getting 3TB of SSD speed storage for $300.00. Considering the Fault tollerance of Raid 0 with 3 drives being 3x's as likely to fail than 1 drive is why I went with enterprise grade HDD's.

Thank you for clarifying and answering my Q's!

Well if you have my luck with SATA drives expect at least 2 of those 3 HDD's to fail. 5/8 of mine failed within the first 6 months. :(

kwilson408

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012

**Knock on wood** I've never had a drive fail. I have some questionable drives at the moment that have been in svc for quite a while tho.