Solved

CAN SATA2 HDD's ON SATA2 PORTS IN RAID 0 EXPERIENCE BOTTLENECKS?

Hello,

I just purchased 3 WD RE4 SATA2 64MB CACHE HDD's. I plan to put them on my x79 chipset machine using SATA2 ports in a RAID 0 configuration. I realize the were talking about each drive/port being confined to 3gbps. My question is: when implementing RAID 0 on SATA2 will my whole array be confined to the 3Gbps or is that number multiplied when using RAID 0? Meaning Each Drive/Port gets its full 3Gbps thus creating a 9Gbps array.?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Kenny
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about sata2 sata2 ports raid experience bottlenecks
  1. Best answer
    The load gets balanced between all the interfaces, so yeah, you would have 9Gbps at the interfaces, but those disks won't read/write fast enough to go that fast. RAID 0 will speed up the setup considerably. So, in short, you'll get the most speed out of those disks as possible and the fact that you're using SATA 2 won't be the bottleneck.
  2. ittimjones said:
    The load gets balanced between all the interfaces, so yeah, you would have 9Gbps at the interfaces, but those disks won't read/write fast enough to go that fast. RAID 0 will speed up the setup considerably. So, in short, you'll get the most speed out of those disks as possible and the fact that you're using SATA 2 won't be the bottleneck.

So for what reason would they even make a SATA3 HDD? Marketing HYPE?
  3. And Those three drives in RAID0 will do about 450MB/s correct?
  4. kwilson408 said:
    So for what reason would they even make a SATA3 HDD? Marketing HYPE?

There are far faster drives then the ones you are talking about out there that will come close to saturating a SATA 3 connector. SSD's do mid 500MB/s transfers.

My current setup with 2 SSD's in a raid 0 do over 1GB/s transfers.
  5. ahnilated said:
    There are far faster drives then the ones you are talking about out there that will come close to saturating a SATA 3 connector. SSD's do mid 500MB/s transfers.

My current setup with 2 SSD's in a raid 0 do over 1GB/s transfers.

I do realize there are faster harddrives & SSD's out there. I use SSD for my system drive as of now. However, I am looking for speed as a secondary to reliabilty and capacity. Theres no way to get 3TB of Storage in an SSD for the price I just paid ($99.99ea) @ NewEgg... So, essentailly I'm getting 3TB of SSD speed storage for $300.00. Considering the Fault tollerance of Raid 0 with 3 drives being 3x's as likely to fail than 1 drive is why I went with enterprise grade HDD's.

Thank you for clarifying and answering my Q's!
  6. kwilson408 said:
    I do realize there are faster harddrives & SSD's out there. I use SSD for my system drive as of now. However, I am looking for speed as a secondary to reliabilty and capacity. Theres no way to get 3TB of Storage in an SSD for the price I just paid ($99.99ea) @ NewEgg... So, essentailly I'm getting 3TB of SSD speed storage for $300.00. Considering the Fault tollerance of Raid 0 with 3 drives being 3x's as likely to fail than 1 drive is why I went with enterprise grade HDD's.

Thank you for clarifying and answering my Q's!

Well if you have my luck with SATA drives expect at least 2 of those 3 HDD's to fail. 5/8 of mine failed within the first 6 months. :(
  7. ahnilated said:
    Well if you have my luck with SATA drives expect at least 2 of those 3 HDD's to fail. 5/8 of mine failed within the first 6 months. :(

**Knock on wood** I've never had a drive fail. I have some questionable drives at the moment that have been in svc for quite a while tho.
  8. Best answer selected by kwilson408.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Hard Drives Storage Product