Redirect Question

Last response: in Video Games
October 22, 2004 4:38:32 AM

I am setting up a redirect for my server. I am in the process of
compressing all of the maps, textures, sounds, & music that I want moved
over. Which files from the system folder should be compressed, the .int
or .u? I have some skins & such that I want done too. Also a weapon
for my sniper server.

Thanks,

gorilla

More about : redirect question

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 11:40:14 AM

I know I should not respond to my own post but I am not sure about
something else.

Should I send all of the files for UT to the redirect? What I have done
is a fresh install of UT on a new computer. Updated the machine to 436,
and I installed all four bonus packs. I then compressed all of the CTF
maps, textures, sounds, and music from the install. Am I sending too
much stuff to the server? Should I limit what I am sending to just the
new maps & mods and the associated files to the redirect?

Thanks again,

gorilla

gorilla wrote:
> I am setting up a redirect for my server. I am in the process of
> compressing all of the maps, textures, sounds, & music that I want moved
> over. Which files from the system folder should be compressed, the .int
> or .u? I have some skins & such that I want done too. Also a weapon
> for my sniper server.
>
> Thanks,
>
> gorilla
October 22, 2004 8:33:09 PM

gorilla enlightened us with:
> Which files from the system folder should be compressed, the .int
> or .u?

Just the .u.

> I have some skins & such that I want done too. Also a weapon for my
> sniper server.

Then make sure you pick all the .u* files.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Related resources
October 22, 2004 8:34:16 PM

fragging gorilla enlightened us with:
> Should I send all of the files for UT to the redirect?

Just the ones you expect your clients not to have.

> Updated the machine to 436, and I installed all four bonus packs. I
> then compressed all of the CTF maps, textures, sounds, and music
> from the install. Am I sending too much stuff to the server?

If the server can handle it, why not? Clients will only download what
they don't have already.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:37:54 AM

On a separate note, in a LAN environment, would there be any problem
with running the redirect off of the same server as UT?

I am wanting to use a spare AMD 950 to run UT & UT 2K4 and Apache for
the redirects. The LAN has a 3Com 100 meg switch and it will only have
@ 8-12 people playing either game at the same time.

Thanks Again,

gorilla
October 26, 2004 9:39:19 AM

fragging gorilla enlightened us with:
> On a separate note, in a LAN environment, would there be any problem
> with running the redirect off of the same server as UT?

Nope.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
October 26, 2004 11:47:15 AM

fragging gorilla wrote:

> On a separate note, in a LAN environment, would there be any problem
> with running the redirect off of the same server as UT?

Should be fine.

> I am wanting to use a spare AMD 950 to run UT & UT 2K4 and Apache for
> the redirects. The LAN has a 3Com 100 meg switch and it will only have
> @ 8-12 people playing either game at the same time.

If you *do* get a problem with performance (you don't mention ram) then
you could try thttpd instead of apache - it's a http server with an
incredibly small footprint. Ideal for non-fancy applications like this.

--
Flash
Anonymous

Thanks for all of the advise & help with the redirect. It is now up and
running and it makes an incredible difference to the game play, actually
joining of the server.

Thanks again,

gorilla

!