Boot Problems

TomGladius

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I built my PC about 4 years ago, so this isn't like I have had a recurring problem. Outside of minor software issues and swapping out new hard drives I have had very few problems since I built it. However....

About 2 weeks ago I walk up to my computer to turn it on...nothing happens. Flip the breaker on the powersupply and then switch it back on, still nothing. Now there was a fan in the powersupply that I noticed had stopped working about a year ago, so I knew it was due to die on me. I shrugged my shoulders and then replaced it with another 500 watt one.

Hook everything up correctly (even had a second person confirm this in checking the connections), the CPU fan won't spin and the bios won't post. The hard drive light comes on, stays solid and there is no beep (which there always was) to indicate the bios is posting and I get nothing on my screen.

My knee jerk reaction was CPU fan issues so I swap that out and now that spins, but I am still having the same issue. I am concerned that the motherboard or the CPU is dead (or dying) and needs to be replaced.

The only thing I can think of to support this theory is the fact that since I added some new RAM last year and a new 500 gig SATA drive I noticed an odd habit my PC had. Periodically it would lock up, but not when it was doing anything. It would only lock up when not doing anything at all. If I left my bittorrent client downloading something this rarely happened. So that might indicate to me that the CPU might be on its way to checking out. I would rather get this confirmed from some folks who know more than me though.

It had been so long since I built the bloody thing I had forgotten what I had in the ah heck. I had to find my old invoice from mwave back in my email from 2007.

MSI P6N SLI-FI nVIDIA nFORCE 650I CHIPSET ATX FORM FACTOR 2xPCI-E(X16)/1xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2 RAID,LAN(Gb),USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775) =CORE 2 DUO E6400 2.13G (1066Mhz)= MWAVE 2GB DDR2 533= TESTING OPTIONS

MY GPU is a Gefore 8800 GTS

Thoughts?

TomGladius

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

I did clean off the old and paste and put new on, I was quite thorough with it using an alcohol swab.

I took out one of the ram sticks, but wasn't particularly sure it was worth the trouble of continuing that path. I will go try that now.