Which raid set up ?

I have a question about setting up raid drives. I am building a new machine. I am using the Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH. I am using 2 WD 1 TB drives. I have not installed Windows 7 yet. Can I install Windows 7 64 on both drives? I am thinking should the 1st drive fail, I should be able to just boot from the other drive. Also what are the differences of raid 0, 1, 5, 10 ? The motherboard does support all those. Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about which raid
  1. Not what I would recommend. You would have to make sure to install apps, updates/patches, and settings on both. Not efficient at all.

If you want optimal speed and want more space, then raid 0 is your answer, but if one drive goes bad then you have to re-install everything. Raid 1 provides some protection as they mirror each other - if one drive goes bad, replace it and the array will rebuild your data automatically.

Other raids beyond 0 and 1 require more drives.

But the real answer is to make a backup image of your 'pristine' installation - OS, apps, utilities, settings - onto removable media that can be protected (a fire safe or relative/friend's house). The only problem with this approach is you restore back to that point - so if you only do backups once every year or so.... that's a lot of lost updates, patches, and data.

For your purposes, I suggest going with raid 1 since you seem to want to be able to quickly be back up and running.
  2. Read the sticky on top of the storage forum. It'll answer all your questions. In short, you'll want to use RAID 1.
  3. Get another hard drive and do a Raid-5.
    Raid-0 is stripping (uses both drive at once for performance)
    Raid-1 is mirroring (so if one goes bad, you have the exact data on the other)
    Raid-5 is redundant stripping on all drives (you can rebuild if you lose one, but if you lose 2, you're screwed)

Raid-10 is 2 raid-0s in a raid-1 setup (4 drives required)
    Raid-50 is 5 raid-5 in a raid-1 (you would need a large SAN array for this and 2 controllers)
  4. I have four drives in each of my two systems. Drive #1 is a SSD system drive, with Windows and applications on it. Drives #2 and #3 are set up in RAID1 for data. Should one fail, the other drive should be able to continue running until I can replace the failed drive. Drive #4 is used to hold weekly image backups of drive #1.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Windows 7 Storage