Switching To Bigger SSD - Transfering Over Question

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hey gents,

I recently bought a 240 Gb Intel SSD to go with my rig that I built thanks to lot's of advice from here last year, [Thanks Buds!].

I have a 128 Gig SSD that is currently my C:\ drive, but I wish to make this new 240 Gig SSD my C:\ drive instead, and do a fresh OS install, plus my 2 main programs & their related 3rd party programs.

I then plan to save the current 128 Gig SSD as a back up [even uninstalled & outside of the rig], as it has all I want installed on it and working just fine as it is.

However the the programs on it are the ones that I will duplicate on the newer 240 Gig SSD, [having double the space], therefore redundant to have both installed.

So I don't want to Erase or Delete anything or Format the 128 Gig one at all. [Just stored as a working emergency back up drive.]

Otherwise, I have a 1 TB Western Digital Black Caviar HDD, partitioned into 2 equal parts, which also have OS's on them, as well as a 1 TB Western Digital USB 3.0 External Drive just for storage & back up.

So my question is this:

Can I change the drive letters and then remove the 128 SSD after the 240 SSD is up & running?

Or will this be a nightmare, should I ever need to re-install the removed 128 SSD, if it's no longer listed as C:\ drive? :pt1cable:

Might it be easier to remove the 128 SSD first and keep it intact as C:\ drive just as it is, and then install the 240 SSD using one of the partitions on the 1 TB Western Digital HDD as my temporary OS to achieve all this?

Thanks for your help Buds,

Jim

Make it easy for yourself.
1) If you want clean install the OS, unplug all the SSD (128GB) + HDD, install the OS, after that plug in the HDD.

or 2) Using the cloning software comes with intel ssd, cloning OS to the new SSD. ( SSD to SSD is OK). Then unplug the 128GB one , connect the new one. You are done.

You don't need to change the driver letter at all as long as you unplug the old SSD.

jimusic

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

Really - it's that easy?

I didn't know that there's cloning software with Intels' SSD.

Is that a new thing, or have they always included that?