Sign in with
Your question

SSD 'Tips and Tricks and Tweaks'- Needed?

Last response: in Storage
November 8, 2012 6:14:57 PM

I've just got an SSD, Samsung 830 256GB.
I've been reading articles/reviews general about SSDs and most say that to follow this 'guide' for tweaks to increase the longetivity and better the performance of your SSD.

My questions is, With the modern SSDs, do we still need these 'tweaks'?
If we do, do any of you guys know a good 'guide' to follow for all the tweaks that are necessary?

Here are two sites that ive looked at, not followed yet. Are the tweaks from these two sites ALL the necessary 'mods' if you like that are needed?
http://blog.ocztechnology.com/?p=178
http://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/ssd-tweaks-to-incr...

Thanks
November 8, 2012 6:49:52 PM

Hey there,

If you are using Windows 7, you probably do not need most of the tweaks as it was designed with SSDs in mind. It's certainly easy to check and see if windows has done it for you though.

I would not do all of the things listed here, but this list has a lot of good stuff:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...
a b Ô Samsung
a c 256 G Storage
November 9, 2012 3:27:57 AM

Use the Samsung SSD Magician utility to optimize your 830 and Microsoft Windows automatically. No muss! No fuss! No Bother!

If you bought a version that does not come with SSD magician on a cd, then download the utility from the Samsung web site.
Related resources
November 10, 2012 2:39:13 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
Use the Samsung SSD Magician utility to optimize your 830 and Microsoft Windows automatically. No muss! No fuss! No Bother!

If you bought a version that does not come with SSD magician on a cd, then download the utility from the Samsung web site.

Which out of the nine do i actually choose and do?
Also a question about FirmWare update, do i need to upgrade? How often? Any more details?
November 10, 2012 4:09:28 PM

The typical rule of thumb is, "if everything is working and you aren't encountering problems - don't bother with firmware"

That said, I always do because I just like to tinker. Also, anytime you are at a point where you are reformatting/reinstalling on the drive - that is a good time for firmware updates since there isn't risk of losing everything.

Edit: your ssd should have a model number that indicates what version of everything you should be using.
November 10, 2012 4:22:17 PM

deadlockedworld said:
your ssd should have a model number that indicates what version of everything you should be using.

What d'you mean? Like which firmware update i should use when upgrading? :S

deadlockedworld said:
That said, I always do because I just like to tinker. Also, anytime you are at a point where you are reformatting/reinstalling on the drive - that is a good time for firmware updates since there isn't risk of losing everything.

Would i need to do the firmware update AND THEN reformat/reinstall? Or what?
Would i need to use the Secure Erase from the Samsung SSD Magician to reformat to get 'factory like' chips again? Or that doesnt make a difference and just reformat when reinstalling windows?
!