Sign in with
Your question

Adjusting Ram Time? HELP!

Last response: in Memory
June 16, 2011 4:07:44 PM

hello, i recently replaced my 2x1gb corsair ram sticks with 2x2gb 800 G-skill sticks (DDR2) and my computer randomly locks up every 10-15 mins, forcing me to reboot. I don't know whats causing the problem :(  Any help will be greatly appreciated
My specs are (According to CPU-Z)

and my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

More about : adjusting ram time

a c 347 } Memory
June 16, 2011 4:31:58 PM

My first observation and assumption this is a 'mix-match' problem more so than a CAS Timing problem. Often this is problem if the Frequency, CAS Timings, Voltages and or Types are mixed together and often there's no 'fix' other than getting the SAME RAM. Also, you need a 64-bit OS to 'see' and use RAM > 4GB.

For starters only have different Brands in the SAME colored DIMM Slots.

Please post links to BOTH sets of RAM. This is needed to compare ALL sets to one another and to verify compatibility.

Q - IF you only use the G.SKILL's in the RED DIMM slots is it still unstable? How about if in the YELLOW?

Next, use the Clear CMOS jumper method as outlined in manual page 29.

Here's compatible RAM:
Corsair - http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.as...
G.SKILL - http://gskill.com/configurator2.php?pid=2&model=462

EDIT: Just noticed that you 'replaced' the RAM.
m
l
June 16, 2011 4:36:45 PM

I have windows 7 64 bit and they are both in the yellow ddr slots Ugh.....so from looking at the compatible RAM the G.Skill NT 4GB Kit(2Gx2) DDR2 800 RAM with a CAS Latency of 5-5-5-15 won't work?
m
l
Related resources
June 16, 2011 4:56:41 PM

ok, so swapping the ram to the red slots and reseting my cmos will possible fix the problem?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 16, 2011 5:29:50 PM

Possibly, more so the Clear CMOS than anything else, and trying other DIMM Slots is just to rule-out the DIMM slots. Referring to the manual either the RED or YELLOW work the same; just don't use 1 red and 1 yellow for Dual Channel.

Let us know... :) 

EDIT: ANY compatible RAM should work without error and without BIOS tweaking at SPD {Defaults} and if it does NOT then it's either damaged 'bad RAM' or incompatible.

Failure, create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+, use ISO/zip file and run 2~4 passes. If you have errors then try 1 stick and retest to determine if you have a bad stick. http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
June 17, 2011 6:19:39 AM

I ran 2 copies of Memtest (1268mb in each) until 120% and there were no errors? It seem that my computer freezes when i certain amount of RAM is used :\ I still can't find a solution

The ram sticks are definitely compatible with my mother board. Do the frequencies on CPU-Z match? and look normal?
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:04:13 PM

Well, i ran Memtest whilst I was at work and when i came back it was switched off and when i turned it on windows said unexpected switch off caused by blue screen :S. I've reset CMOS and loaded optimal settings still nothing works *sigh*
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 1:12:01 PM

GA-P35-DS3L
Supports DDR2 1066*/800/667memory
Dual Channel architecture supports up to 8GB by 4 DIMM slots
{2GB per DIMM}

The timings and frequency look correct.

If you purchased F2-6400CL5-2GBNT individually instead of the kit F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT it may not work together as a set.

Q - Did you Clear CMOS via jumper?
Q - Did you set the RAM manually in the BIOS?
Q - Did you purchase as a set or individually?

Note: If the RAM fails after the Clear CMOS procedure then RMA the RAM.
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:32:03 PM

I purchased F2-6400CL5D-4GBNT together in a kitm I clearled CMOS by removing the battery and No i havent set ram in bios not really sure how to do it I have award bios btw
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 1:38:54 PM

Try the jumper method, the battery removal isn't the same.

Again, if that fails then RMA the RAM :( 
m
l
June 17, 2011 1:49:30 PM

I see 2 pins for CMOS Clear so do i just put a conductable metal inbetween then and BAM cleared?
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 2:10:09 PM

Refer to the manual, yes it requires a shorting of the two pins.

Per manual:
Use this jumper to clear the CMOS values (e.g. date information and BIOS configurations) and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear the CMOS values, place a jumper cap on the two pins to temporarily short the two pins or use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.

• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing the CMOS values.
• After clearing the CMOS values and before turning on your computer, be sure to remove the jumper cap from the jumper. Failure to do so may cause damage to the motherboard.
• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations).
m
l
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 3:51:01 PM

Are you positive that your RAM is the cuplrit? Everything works fine with your old 2x1 GB sticks?

Memtest86+ is a lot more reliable than than the one you were using. You write Memtest86+ program to a jump drive, boot to the jump drive, and let it run overnight. This will tell you whether or not your RAM sticks are ok. If you see any errors at all, RMA the RAM.

You might try relaxing your timings to 6-6-6-15.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 4:05:33 PM

Memtest was run, I'm on the BIOS. The next is Windows -> run MSCONFIG and select Diagnostic, restart to see if problem(s) is/are fixed.
m
l
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 4:19:14 PM

Des123 said:
I ran 2 copies of Memtest (1268mb in each) until 120% and there were no errors? It seem that my computer freezes when i certain amount of RAM is used :\ I still can't find a solution

The ram sticks are definitely compatible with my mother board. Do the frequencies on CPU-Z match? and look normal?

I think he ran the in-OS memtest (not memtest86+, which is what you suggested). Since his, system crashed while running it, the test is inconclusive. I just don't want him to have to RMA the RAM if it's his memory controller or a corrupt OS install or something.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 4:23:57 PM

Then the OP didn't read my 2nd post -> "Failure, create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+, use ISO/zip file and run 2~4 passes."

Though I'm a little confused by OP's statement -> "I ran 2 copies of Memtest (1268mb in each) until 120% and there were no errors?" There are a few versions of Memtest86+ available?!

My standard MO is to: Verify Settings, Test, BIOS, and then OS issues. There has to be some logical progression...
m
l
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 4:42:50 PM

jaquith said:
Then the OP didn't read my 2nd post -> "Failure, create a bootable CD/DVD of Memtest86+, use ISO/zip file and run 2~4 passes."

Though I'm a little confused by OP's statement -> "I ran 2 copies of Memtest (1268mb in each) until 120% and there were no errors?" There are a few versions of Memtest86+ available?!

My standard MO is to: Verify Settings, Test, BIOS, and then OS issues. There has to be some logical progression...

There is another type of Memtest. It's called HCI Memtest (I think the names are coincidental - memtest86 is written by a different person) that you can run in Windows. You can, and sometimes have to, run multiple instances of it. I think this is what he means by "I ran 2 copies of Memtest (1268mb in each)". In my experience, HCI memtest is a lot less reliable. It's so system intensive that it, unless your system is totally stable, it will either crash itself or crash your machine. And if your system is stable, you wouldn't be running memtest. :D 

Anyway, yeah, I think he misunderstood your instructions. :) 

m
l
June 18, 2011 2:26:18 AM

Oops, ran the wrong memtest the first time. Okay I ran Memtest86+ from a bootable cd and left it for 10 hours, no errors found. I upgraded to windows 7 64 bit to put the ram in so is there a driver or something i need to download? Would my graphics card have anything to do with it?
m
l
June 18, 2011 5:17:01 AM

Fixed the problem turns out i had 19 drivers which were ancient lol fail. Uniblue Driver scanner did the job
m
l
a b } Memory
June 18, 2011 4:18:47 PM

Nice. Glad you got it fixed.

In most cases, it's less of a headache to do a clean install of a new OS instead of trying to upgrade. :) 
m
l
!