UT Linux sound too fast

Hello!

ATI Linux drivers have issues with UT2004, so I thought I'd retro, dug
up my old UT CD, got a Linux installer, and installed the game. Besides
the obvious realization that my machine is overkill for this game, I
also noticed that the sound plays too fast. Quite literally! Everything
sounds like it's being fast-forwarded (remember cassette tapes?).

I'm on Debian with ALSA sound, kernel 2.6.3.

Any ideas?

Meltdown

Artom enlightened us with:
> ATI Linux drivers have issues with UT2004, so I thought I'd retro, dug
> up my old UT CD, got a Linux installer, and installed the game.

Which version of the game do you have?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Might as well add that it's a NForce2 mobo with an Intel 810 onboard
sound chip.

Meltdown

Artom enlightened us with:
> Might as well add that it's a NForce2 mobo with an Intel 810 onboard
> sound chip.

Ah, yes. I've had problems with that too on a friend's computer. Don't
know what fixed it, or if it was fixed at all. Try playing around with
ALSA, ~/.asoundrc and ~/.openalrc.

Version 436 is right, though ;-)

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Mind putting me in touch with that friend? :)

I don't wanto turn this into a Linux discussion, but I have neither a
..asoundrc or a .openalrc. Don't think I'm supposed to either, the Debian
website doesn't show any packages with those files in them.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

Artom wrote:

> ATI Linux drivers have issues with UT2004, so I thought I'd retro, dug
> up my old UT CD, got a Linux installer, and installed the game. Besides
> the obvious realization that my machine is overkill for this game, I
> also noticed that the sound plays too fast. Quite literally! Everything
> sounds like it's being fast-forwarded (remember cassette tapes?).
> I'm on Debian with ALSA sound, kernel 2.6.3.

I had exactly the same problem. Couldn't find a fix for it, but you do
kinda get used to it. I found it helps to think of the Announcer as
being on Acid.

--
Flash

Meltdown

Artom enlightened us with:
> Mind putting me in touch with that friend? :)

He doesn't know anything about Linux - the OS is on his box because I
visit him often ;-)

> I don't wanto turn this into a Linux discussion, but I have neither
> a .asoundrc or a .openalrc. Don't think I'm supposed to either, the
> Debian website doesn't show any packages with those files in them.

That's right, you're supposed to make them yourself. My .asoundrc is
empty, and my .openalrc contains:

(define speaker-num 4)
(define devices '(alsa))
(define alsa-out-device "surround40:0,0")

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

I've been using the same sound card with the OSS drivers and works great.

I have Debian Testing w/Kernel 2.4.25 with Low Latency Option.

If you use ALSA, check the sample rate, that would make the sound play too
fast. Alsa also permits sample rate locking, so the audio portion of the
game could be playing at a reduced sample rate which gets reinterpreted by
ALSA to 44.1 or 48k.

..-=/gp\=-.

In article <997ed.32172$J16.1809064@news20.bellglobal.com>, Artom wrote:
> Hello!
>
> ATI Linux drivers have issues with UT2004, so I thought I'd retro, dug
> up my old UT CD, got a Linux installer, and installed the game. Besides
> the obvious realization that my machine is overkill for this game, I
> also noticed that the sound plays too fast. Quite literally! Everything
> sounds like it's being fast-forwarded (remember cassette tapes?).
>
> I'm on Debian with ALSA sound, kernel 2.6.3.
>
> Any ideas?

Van de Childsplay mailinglist:

Hello,

A known issue with the playing of sound in applications that use
SDL/pygame is that, in conjuction with ALSA and some soundcards,
the music/sound plays to fast.
At least the one that are not in 44100 Hrz.

A proper solution is to have a .asoundrc file with a software mixer
which resamples the sounds to 44100 (at least on a via82xxx).

(A example .asoundrc file is included at the end.)
This file should be placed in the users home directory or it can be
used globally when placed in /etc/asound.conf.

To force SDL to use the ALSA drivers/libs one has set a env variable
like this: export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
This can be placed in the users .basrc script or so.

When the application is started all the sound are resampled to 44100
and sounds normal :)

#v+
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}
#v-

GG
Kees
--
Visit me at http://www.xs4all.nl/~kostercd/
Orcs really aren't so bad (if you use lots of catsup).