Black/White Screen while browsing internet

ac53

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Hi,

I've recently built my first homebuilt system and everything has been running smoothly up until this point. I was on Youtube when the screen turns black, and the keyboard becomes unresponsive. I could however still still hear sound. I restarted the system by turning my surge protector off then back on. The keyboard was still unresponsive until I got to the Welcome screen. I was also running the air conditioner at the moment. However, the exact same thing happened again just now, while I was on youtube. The screen turns white this time, and I could still hear sound but keyboard was once again unrespsoive. This time i press the reset button and get the same results. Computer restarts, and keyboard does not respond until I get to Welcome screen. This time, though the air conditioner was off. I already have all the most recent drivers from the manufacturer's respective websites, with the exception of the BIOS, which for some reason will not work with a 64 bit version of Windows.

Here is my config:

Antec 300 Illusion Case
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb
ASUS CuCore EAH HD 5770 1GB
Sansung Spinpoint F3 ITB
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
Seasonic X650 PSU
ASUS VH222H Monitor
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Right now, it's working fine, but I'm not sure what caused the black/white screens. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Air conditioner or any other appliance must never affect any computer. Any such problems are directly traceable to things such as a power supply defective when designed. That is what power supplies do. Make irrelevant anything on AC mains - such as noise from an air conditioner.

To have answers from the better infomed starts with voltage numbers from a motherboard to power supply connector using a 3.5 digit multimeter. Only then can those who know this stuff discuss the various suspect including the power supply controller and video controller.

Is your computer from a better manufacturer? Then provided for free are comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Useful dignostics boot and execute without Windows.

Windows will see problems, work around them, and report failures in the system (event) logs. What do those logs report?

ac53

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

Don't have access to a multimeter, nor any other high tech equipment. I was only trying to be as specific as possible. it hasn't happened since, but I'm running all the latest plug-ins and updates. I'm also not entirely sure where to access the system logs. idle temperatures run at around 40C - 45C for both CPU and GPU. There is also a heat wave warning in effect in my area, so I'm trying to run as few electronics as possible- could this be the culprit?

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Are hardware stores in your neighborhood selling hammers? Then the meter is sold there. Typically for as little as $18 in Wal-Mart. Yes, even sold in K-mart because nothing I have posted involves anything high tech - except the computer.

If you open a computer cover, then you are doing things far more 'high tech' than the meter. And that is the point. Either you becomes a smarter person by learning these low tech solutions (by not entertaining your fears). Or you remain begging for help. And believing (for example) that an air conditioner upsetting any other appliance is normal. Or listening to ideas that you can immediately identify as bogus.

I can teach you so much. But only if you take a full minute to purchase a tool sold in K-mart to record those numbers. Yes, K-mart. The store that only sells things for geniuses? You do have a Radio Shack or Lowes nearby? Then you have a low tech and inexpensive meter so that the next reply is immediately helpful - without wild speculation.

The point here - you are entertaining your fears. Choose to gain from the experience. Get the meter. Take those numbers. Your replies will only be as good as the facts you post.

Temperatures, plug-in, etc are irrelevant. Any good computer is operating at ideal normal temperatures even when the room is 100 degrees F. Heat is not a problem. Higher room temperatures are a diagnostic tool to find defective hardware that fails intermittently. A 100 degree room means the computer works perfectly normal - or defective hardware is identified.

Your least expensive solution starts with that digital multimeter - a tool about as high tech as a hammer. That costs same or less money. And that has a long list of other uses - once you learn from this experience.