Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What if i used a wiped hard drive in a new PC build?

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 8, 2012 11:49:40 PM

Hello World,

I am planning to build a Gaming PC and i really don't want to spend too much on it, its already 500 dollars. And i 250GB hard drive costs over 250 dollars!! I wanted to use my old drive (obviously completely wipe the hard drive first) and put it in my new build and install Windows 7 on it?

My current and not wiped yet drive has Windows Vista 32 Bit on it, and i want to wipe it and use it in my new PC build and install windows 7 on it. What should i do?

More about : wiped hard drive build

a b G Storage
November 8, 2012 11:55:27 PM

Just format it, and use it.

Simple as that :) 
November 8, 2012 11:56:26 PM

So basically do this:

Reformat current drive, put in custom PC
Put in Windows 7 DVD in the CD Drive
Install Windows 7
Done?
Related resources
November 8, 2012 11:58:39 PM

azathoth said:
Just format it, and use it.

Simple as that :) 



So basically do this:

Reformat current drive, put in custom PC
Put in Windows 7 DVD in the CD Drive
Install Windows 7
Done?

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 12:04:48 AM

You don't need to format it before putting it in your custom PC. Early in the Windows 7 install process it will give you a chance to format it before installation occurs. Very easy.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 12:14:01 AM

^+1 just put it in the new pc, and boot the Win 7 disk.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 12:14:36 AM

Splooge said:
I am planning to build a Gaming PC and i really don't want to spend too much on it, its already 500 dollars. And i 250GB hard drive costs over 250 dollars!!?
How in the world is a 250GB hard drive $250? Were you looking at an SSD? Because a 1024GB HARD DRIVE is about eighty bucks.
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2012 12:31:53 AM

Splooge said:
Hello World,

I am planning to build a Gaming PC and i really don't want to spend too much on it, its already 500 dollars. And i 250GB hard drive costs over 250 dollars!! I wanted to use my old drive (obviously completely wipe the hard drive first) and put it in my new build and install Windows 7 on it?

My current and not wiped yet drive has Windows Vista 32 Bit on it, and i want to wipe it and use it in my new PC build and install windows 7 on it. What should i do?



Do a full format on the drive (not a quick format)
This will mark bad sectors as bad and put down new sector markers.
It make take several hours to do a full format, (more, if there are lots of bad spots)
November 9, 2012 12:49:30 AM

DarkSable said:
How in the world is a 250GB hard drive $250? Were you looking at an SSD? Because a 1024GB HARD DRIVE is about eighty bucks.


It always depends where he is from. Here a 1024 GB drive costs 140 dollars.

But maybe you're right.
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:47:07 AM

^Sure, but... if hard drives are that expensive, wouldn't a computer be more than $500?
!