What if i used a wiped hard drive in a new PC build?

Hello World,

I am planning to build a Gaming PC and i really don't want to spend too much on it, its already 500 dollars. And i 250GB hard drive costs over 250 dollars!! I wanted to use my old drive (obviously completely wipe the hard drive first) and put it in my new build and install Windows 7 on it?

My current and not wiped yet drive has Windows Vista 32 Bit on it, and i want to wipe it and use it in my new PC build and install windows 7 on it. What should i do?
9 answers Last reply
More about what wiped hard drive build
  1. Just format it, and use it.

Simple as that :)
  2. So basically do this:

Reformat current drive, put in custom PC
    Put in Windows 7 DVD in the CD Drive
    Install Windows 7
    Done?
  3. azathoth said:
    Just format it, and use it.

Simple as that :)

So basically do this:

Reformat current drive, put in custom PC
    Put in Windows 7 DVD in the CD Drive
    Install Windows 7
    Done?
  4. You don't need to format it before putting it in your custom PC. Early in the Windows 7 install process it will give you a chance to format it before installation occurs. Very easy.
  5. ^+1 just put it in the new pc, and boot the Win 7 disk.
  6. Splooge said:
    I am planning to build a Gaming PC and i really don't want to spend too much on it, its already 500 dollars. And i 250GB hard drive costs over 250 dollars!!?
    How in the world is a 250GB hard drive $250? Were you looking at an SSD? Because a 1024GB HARD DRIVE is about eighty bucks.
  7. Splooge said:
    Hello World,

I am planning to build a Gaming PC and i really don't want to spend too much on it, its already 500 dollars. And i 250GB hard drive costs over 250 dollars!! I wanted to use my old drive (obviously completely wipe the hard drive first) and put it in my new build and install Windows 7 on it?

My current and not wiped yet drive has Windows Vista 32 Bit on it, and i want to wipe it and use it in my new PC build and install windows 7 on it. What should i do?

Do a full format on the drive (not a quick format)
    This will mark bad sectors as bad and put down new sector markers.
    It make take several hours to do a full format, (more, if there are lots of bad spots)
  8. DarkSable said:
    How in the world is a 250GB hard drive $250? Were you looking at an SSD? Because a 1024GB HARD DRIVE is about eighty bucks.

It always depends where he is from. Here a 1024 GB drive costs 140 dollars.

But maybe you're right.
  9. ^Sure, but... if hard drives are that expensive, wouldn't a computer be more than $500?
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 Build Storage