Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which PSU brand do you trust?

Last response: in Components
Share

Which PSU brand do you trust?

Total: 66 votes (16 blank votes)

  • Zalman
  • 3 %
  • Coolermaster
  • 7 %
  • Corsair
  • 50 %
  • OCZ
  • 6 %
  • Thermaltake
  • 6 %
  • Tagan
  • 2 %
  • Other...
  • 29 %
October 22, 2010 2:47:50 PM

Which brand should I prefer? Always a difficult question...
So I desided to ask the community via this poll...

I used to prefer Zalman but lately I discovered some other good PSU brands also...
So lets get voting!

More about : psu brand trust

a c 694 ) Power supply
October 22, 2010 4:42:07 PM

At least you made the selection easy by skipping brands like Seasonic, Antec, Enermax and some others. Selecting with 2 possibilities Corsair and other was easy!
a c 77 ) Power supply
October 22, 2010 4:47:25 PM

^+1.... Exactly what I selected :) 
Related resources
October 22, 2010 4:55:42 PM

Enermax is usually overlooked, and is a good quality brand. Like said above, Seasonic and Antec should be on that list as well
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 12:20:38 AM

Why is seasonic not there...
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 12:23:57 AM

Dude...why are we leaving out half the better or best brands? XFX, Enermax, Corsair, Seasonic, ya know, the one who makes half the PSU's for the companies i just mentioned, Silverstone, my personal favorite...?
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 1:45:55 AM

no pc power and cooling???
a c 694 ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 2:18:37 AM

I guess their parent company (OCZ) is not advertising them enough since they are in competition with themselves.
October 23, 2010 9:07:44 AM

Sorry for not having in the list some of your favorite brands... but I had put in my list the brands I knew and some of them I trust...

Brands like Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone I didn't know (since this post) that they were so good! Also I thought Antec was not so trustable... with no quality... but this post surely made its goals... I learned some new good/trusted brands!

I feel like I'm stuck in the "Middle Age" of PSU. I probably should change my mind about the quality of some brands...
October 23, 2010 9:12:26 AM

ct1615 said:
no pc power and cooling???


What do you mean by that?

rolli59 said:
I guess their parent company (OCZ) is not advertising them enough since they are in competition with themselves.


OCZ is parent company of which brand?
October 23, 2010 9:24:03 AM

Gotta go Corsair. I've had a few and they've all made it through to the end beautifully.
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 9:39:43 AM

For all the performance PC's, Servers (24/7), PC-DVRs (24/7) I've always used Antec, Coolmaster and OCZ. Never had any downtime. Cheap PSU's are not worth the headache. Other brands like Aztec and Delta are good for low powered PC's servers that will happily run 24/7 without a hiccup.
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2010 10:10:18 PM

antec had huge problems with capacitor failures in the smart power and true power power supplies a while back. antecs newer offerings are high quality, the only thing to watch out for is that the antec basiq power models under 500w are generic crap not even worthy if the antec name, so avoid those!
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2010 10:27:49 PM

shovenose said:
antec had huge problems with capacitor failures in the smart power and true power power supplies a while back. antecs newer offerings are high quality, the only thing to watch out for is that the antec basiq power models under 500w are generic crap not even worthy if the antec name, so avoid those!


Not an addict yet :p  And i find Antec has slipped into overpricing their better products a bit. Anything over a 1000w and your pretty much on a good path to getting a high quality expensive PSU. Yet they charge an extra $100 for nothing special really. Now, of course, they arent the only ones, but ive noticed it more from them lately.
October 24, 2010 10:59:41 PM

Seasonic, Corair, Enermax, Antec...In that order
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 1:36:57 AM

Agree with rolli - Corsair and "other".
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 2:16:46 AM

the problem with most of these brands mentioned is very few of them actually make their own PSU. Seasonic, Delta, & Enermax are the only OEM mentioned. the rest go through different companies as contracts come and go. so being loyal to one brand is nice but you should also stay on top of reviews.

the guy who mentioned Antec for a performance PC and Delta for budget PC...well guess who makes a good amount of Antecs? That CWT, Delta, FSP, etc., budget PSU and that great Corsair, Antec, Zalman may often differ by just a sticker.
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 2:30:21 AM

1- Cosair
2- Antec
3- Seasonic
4- PC Power and Cooling
5- XFX (some are good)
6- OCZ
7- Coolermaster
8- Thermaltake
9- The others
a c 91 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 2:56:15 AM

saint19 said:
1- Cosair
2- Antec
3- Seasonic
4- PC Power and Cooling
5- XFX (some are good)
6- OCZ
7- Coolermaster
8- Thermaltake
9- The others


XFX has just 3 PSU's.. Which one do you feel is bad.?
a c 91 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 2:57:27 AM

rolli59 said:
At least you made the selection easy by skipping brands like Seasonic, Antec, Enermax and some others. Selecting with 2 possibilities Corsair and other was easy!


Best answer..
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 3:10:36 AM

You forgot XFX. XFX is a new player, but it made a darn good splash in the PSU arena with their 650W+ units. Check out the reviews at JonnyGuru to see what I mean.

Quote:
1- Cosair
2- Antec
3- Seasonic
4- PC Power and Cooling
5- XFX (some are good)
6- OCZ

M8, ALL of the XFX PSUs got at least a 9 @ JonnyGuru. IIRC, all of the XFX units got 10/10 for performance.

My recommendations based on price vs performance:
1. XFX
2. Corsair
3. PC Power & Cooling/SeaSonic
4. Antec
5. OCZ

I would not recommend any thing below a OCZ.
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 3:35:11 AM

Seasonic

They build their own PSUs.

They also manufacture PSUs for Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and XFX amongst others.
October 25, 2010 3:48:23 AM

What gives?!? No one mentioned NZXT with their Hale 90 sereies? Is there somthing I don't know about them?
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 3:48:38 AM

Shadow703793 said:
You forgot XFX. XFX is a new player, but it made a darn good splash in the PSU arena with their 650W+ units. Check out the reviews at JonnyGuru to see what I mean.

Quote:
1- Cosair
2- Antec
3- Seasonic
4- PC Power and Cooling
5- XFX (some are good)
6- OCZ

M8, ALL of the XFX PSUs got at least a 9 @ JonnyGuru. IIRC, all of the XFX units got 10/10 for performance.

My recommendations based on price vs performance:
1. XFX
2. Corsair
3. PC Power & Cooling/SeaSonic
4. Antec
5. OCZ

I would not recommend any thing below a OCZ.



enermax, silverstone, zalman, and xigmatek also offer fine units. i would have no issue with most of them and take them over most OCZ units and several antec ones.

I own a pc power & cooling and corsair so I'm not waving the flag for what's in my rig.
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 3:49:42 AM

geeknation said:
What gives?!? No one mentioned NZXT with their Hale 90 sereies? Is there somthing I don't know about them?


nope those are fine units also. they just don't advertise as much as antec & corsair so people don't give them their due.
October 25, 2010 10:25:59 AM

Nothing about Zalman...
Isn't a good brand at all?
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 1:11:22 PM

jaguarskx said:
Seasonic

They build their own PSUs.

They also manufacture PSUs for Antec, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and XFX amongst others.

Yup. Most of the Corsair, Antec, PC Power are all Seasonic bilt units that are just rebranded. ALL of the XFX units are Seasonic built currently.
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 1:15:52 PM

Quote:
enermax, silverstone, zalman, and xigmatek also offer fine units. i would have no issue with most of them and take them over most OCZ units and several antec ones.

Agreed. But imo, most of those units don't have that great of a price vs performance.
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 2:08:24 PM

check out the xigmatek 400w PSU. its $35, 32a on the 12v, bronze certified and hits 600w at peak (obviously not as efficient but still). that's a hell of a bargain for a 400w PSU. the 500w and 600w are also competitively priced...with some people stating the 400w & 500w are the exact same unit with a different sticker.

FYI. the new corsairs are mostly made by CWT. Antec's new units are mostly delta, and new PC Power & Cooling are highpower units. All very good brands to buy still but the "they are just a re-badged seasonic" theory does not apply to most of their new units, like I stated above.
a b ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 4:28:37 PM

Not all the Thermaltake series are good, if u go with thermaltake go with the Purepower series or toughpower the others are not good.
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 12:27:24 AM

Quote:

FYI. the new corsairs are mostly made by CWT. Antec's new units are mostly delta, and new PC Power & Cooling are highpower units. All very good brands to buy still but the "they are just a re-badged seasonic" theory does not apply to most of their new units, like I stated above.

Really? So I guess only XFX has SeaSonic as the only OEM?
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 2:16:22 AM

antec still has the neo eco (unless they sold out) that are seasonic made

the new corsair AX 750 & 850 are seasonic. the other AX units, CX units, and GS are CWT

It looks like seasonic wants to build their own brand, none the less they are all very good units
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 3:36:36 AM

Corsair is switching over to CWT to cut costs. There's always a cost factor when it comes to a very good PSU manufacturer and a premium PSU manufacturer.
a c 164 ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 4:13:33 AM

they have been using CWT for a while now so its not like they have no experience with them
October 26, 2010 8:13:19 AM

I chose Thermaltake because my Thermaltake 450W never had a problem running any graphics cards even very power consuming. I currently use my GTS 250 on it, and my GTS250 Uses upto 160watts
October 26, 2010 8:14:18 AM

Corsair and Enermax
October 26, 2010 11:58:14 AM

Coolermaster, Power X, Dell Generic, Enermax, Huntkey, Yatamsuo (spl)

All these above are previous PSU's ive had and not had a single problem with them, all of the above (apart from the Dell, as i used some cables and soldered them onto the Huntkey PSU to extend some wires) are still active to this day.

Ive never owned a Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic, OCZ, Thermaltake, Zalman...

Can only comment on the experiance ive had with the PSU's ive owned..
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 12:50:14 PM

Cooler Master and Tagan are the one's that suck big time, but they are highly popular coz they are cheap!

Corsair is my all time favorite followed by Seasonic and Antec.
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 8:32:43 PM

thatasiankid said:
I chose Thermaltake because my Thermaltake 450W never had a problem running any graphics cards even very power consuming. I currently use my GTS 250 on it, and my GTS250 Uses upto 160watts

/facepalm. This is the worst way to choose a PSU. Just because you can run it on your hardware does not mean it is good.
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 8:39:31 PM

Shadow703793 said:
/facepalm. This is the worst way to choose a PSU. Just because you can run it on your hardware does not mean it is good.


+1 I choose thermaltake because the only Corsair PSUs that I can find in my country are 450W :lol: 
October 27, 2010 7:36:18 AM

Shadow703793 said:
/facepalm. This is the worst way to choose a PSU. Just because you can run it on your hardware does not mean it is good.


Then explain what makes it good? When it doesnt run? If something is working, and working fine, where is the line of that Unit/service becoming "good"? If the user things the Unit/service is good, isnt all that matters?

Do you think Scada Service Support for Siemens Wind Power is good? or is the nPower Scada Support engineers better? Same thing as above, just a different service and scenario.. :) 
October 27, 2010 12:03:58 PM

reccy said:
Then explain what makes it good? When it doesnt run? If something is working, and working fine, where is the line of that Unit/service becoming "good"? If the user things the Unit/service is good, isnt all that matters?

Do you think Scada Service Support for Siemens Wind Power is good? or is the nPower Scada Support engineers better? Same thing as above, just a different service and scenario.. :) 


+1 Thank you for understanding.
a c 243 ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 12:15:08 PM

reccy said:
Then explain what makes it good?

The ability to deliver clean power.

You drive your car to the "Lukoil" gas station and fill up, saving .05c a gallon, a year and a half later your car develops a tick, someone says " bad gas ", you say " gas is gas ".
October 27, 2010 12:58:30 PM

delluser1 said:
The ability to deliver clean power.

You drive your car to the "Lukoil" gas station and fill up, saving .05c a gallon, a year and a half later your car develops a tick, someone says " bad gas ", you say " gas is gas ".


Ok, Scenario for you.

You need a car for shopping, a Ford Fiesta will do, priced cheaply and does it well.. But you go and buy a proche 911 for like 10x the price, over whelmed for the needs..

Also, can you say here now that you go and buy a Corsair, XFX, Antec etc PSU and guarantee that it wont blow up or come 1.5/2 years down the line??
a c 243 ) Power supply
October 27, 2010 1:29:43 PM

reccy said:
Ok, Scenario for you.

You need a car for shopping, a Ford Fiesta will do, priced cheaply and does it well.. But you go and buy a proche 911 for like 10x the price, over whelmed for the needs..

Also, can you say here now that you go and buy a Corsair, XFX, Antec etc PSU and guarantee that it wont blow up or come 1.5/2 years down the line??

Lukoil gas would kill the Fiesta or the Porsche, were not talking about the type of car, we're talking about the fuel for the car.

There's no guarantee that one of the big boys won't blow up unexpectedly, no guarantee that they'll provide clean power either, just plenty of reviews that say they do and that the lower quality units don't.
October 27, 2010 1:58:48 PM

Reviews still suggest the Coolermaster aint the best, but it by far aint the worst either..

Nobody can guarantee anything, Coolermaster as alot to prove, not so much Corsair, or Antec etc..

But the fact is that if the Corsairs or XFX or Antec's etc were priced more competitevly then they have everything to play for, but paying over £100 for a unit which Coolermaster produces at £30-£40 lower, That 30 or 40 quid could be used for something else, or to upgrade something which you've strimped on (like a GPU or something) or even outside of the PC world. Thats alot of money to some people, not so much for others. Guess im just a cheap ass :) 

And going on fuel, You have a Fiesta, Do you buy Vpower Fuel at 1.19pence per litre or do you buy unleaded 91 octane for 1.11pence per litre? Both do the same just one is "more powerful, or better"?
(Put this above on a big scale, as 4.55 approx litres = 1 gallon, and cars usually have 30-40gallon Tanks.)
!