Sign in with
Your question

Dead ram slots

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2011 5:16:04 PM

Hi, I recently got a 6850 and a HAF X, upgrades from ANtec 300 and 4830.

But I can only boot with the first and 3rd DDR3 slot.
If I have one in the 2nd, not boot, one in the fourth no boot I get 3 long beeps.(nothing in manual on it, but google did :D )
Motherboard is a GA 870A-UD3

I am using 2 GB ram sticks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am think that during the process I might of shorted the slots out (Don't know how as the ram was in the slot and each stick still works) Or maybe something got disabled?

So right now I have 1 gskill in Slot one. and one Ripjaw in slot 3.
Since Slot one and slot 3 run on different channels should I keep it that way?
Or should I have both the same.
Thanks,

More about : dead ram slots

June 16, 2011 8:17:49 PM

These are dual channel slots so you would have to use slot1 and slot 3 for one set dual channel and slot 3 and slot 4 for the other set. I would not mix sets in the same channel Make sure the 2 different sets are compatitable with each other.
m
l
June 16, 2011 8:26:43 PM

I do have them in separate slots and it works, So I have regG skil in slot one and slot 3 has my ripjaw.
But when I try to put my other reg G skil stick in slot 2, or my other ripjaw in slot 4, it does not want to boot and does 3 long beeps.
Thanks,
m
l
August 15, 2012 7:17:58 AM

Tai2323 said:
I do have them in separate slots and it works, So I have regG skil in slot one and slot 3 has my ripjaw.
But when I try to put my other reg G skil stick in slot 2, or my other ripjaw in slot 4, it does not want to boot and does 3 long beeps.
Thanks,

Dual channel memory requires two (2) sticks in order to operate properly, i.e. for the proprietary system board to function(s). There must be compatible sticks in two (2) slots, 1 & 3 or 2 & 4, for the system to pass POST. Questions? Comments? Confusions...?
m
l
!