Sign in with
Your question

Budget gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2010 7:37:01 AM

Hey guys!

Thanks for checking this thread out. I've had my Athlon 64 rig for the last seven years but recently, the PSU and motherboard have started to fail. Needless to say: it's time for a new setup. Below are the suggested things that were asked to provide, along with some things that I was looking at. It's important to me that this new PC be relatively future-proof and that Starcraft II work well on it.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:
- Between 2 to 4 weeks, excluding shipping time.

BUDGET RANGE:
- $500 - $600 to spend on:
- Video card
- PSU
- CPU
- RAM
- Motherboard
- Case

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT:
- Gaming
- Photoshop CS5
- Idle, unattended on-time

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
- Monitor
- Mouse/keyboard
- Speakers
- Hard drives
- Media drives (DVD, CD, etc.)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:
- TigerDirect.ca
- NewEgg.ca
- FutureShop.ca (only for the video card)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
- Quebec, Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES:
- Corsair power supply
- GTX 465 or Radeon 5770
- Thermaltake case

OVERCLOCKING:
- Maybe, if I learn its intricacies.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE:
No. No money for it.

MONITOR RESOLUTION:
- 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
- I have a 135$ gift certificate at FutureShop, which is the reason why I would like to buy the video card from there.
- I don't care for aesthetics.
- I would prefer to get an nVidia card; I don't trust ATI drivers. In addition, it's important for the card to be DirectX 11 compatible.
- I'd like it to be as future-proof as possible. My last computer has lasted me seven years, I guess I'm at least expecting 4?

------------------------------------

Below is a list of what I was thinking of getting:

Video Cards:

FutureShop - Radeon 5770

FutureShop - GeForce GTX 465

CPUs:

TigerDirect.ca - Phenom II 1090T

TigerDirect.ca - Core i7 930

TigerDirect.ca - Core i7 920

Power Supplies:

NewEgg.ca - Corsair 550W

TigerDirect.ca - Corsair 550W

Cases:

NewEgg.ca - Thermaltake V3

TigerDirect.ca - Thermaltake V3

------------------------------------

Addtional questions:

- Should I dual boot XP and Windows 7, or stick with the latter?
- Would it be worth it to wait for the new CPU architecture or stick in this generation?
- From what I gather, 4 gigs of RAM is the standard. Is it worth it to have more?

Thanks for reading! I look forward to your advices.

More about : budget gaming

August 12, 2010 8:53:04 AM

OS
I think you should stick with windows 7.

RAM
get 4gb of ram you'll be fine with that get More only if your going with a 64bit os although i don think it would be necessary but Photoshop would probably benefit from it.

Psu
maybe go with the corsair 650w its the same price as the 550
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Cpu
I would stick with newegg for the cpu the 1090T is $70 cheaper there i would get the 1090T its
6 real cores vs th i7's 4 with smt the amd might be a tiny bit more expensive then the 920 but when you start looking at the price of intel cpu motherboards you will probably save more money in the long run but picking the amd will most likely leave you with an ati gpu based motherboard i looked at some benchmarks and theres not that great of a difference between the two so go with the amd as its motherboard will save money and probably have more features then its intel counterpart

GOOD LUCK
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:37:23 AM

Quote:
BUDGET RANGE:
- $500 - $600 to spend on:
- Video card
- PSU
- CPU
- RAM
- Motherboard
- Case

Hmm $500-600CAD isn't much to spend on but for ref this is my $513AR (USD) config off Egg USA Could well within range after conversion since u dun need ODD/Hdd?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 12, 2010 5:55:59 PM

Should definately go with a 460 over a GTX465. the 460's are new, and actually perform better than the dated 465.

I'd highly reccomend spending a little more on a motherboard and get a name brand ATX size... not a microATX as listed above. Gigabyte or Asus
m
l
August 12, 2010 8:06:04 PM

Thanks for the input, guys!

I'd really like the idea of getting a 460 over a 465, however, FutureShop doesn't have the former mentioned. I'm looking more and more into the Radeon 5770 because it supports DirectX 11 and it's considerably less expensive than any DirectX 11 compatible nVidia cards.

Does anyone know what socket will the new processors use? Will they even be designed for gamers or for servers?
m
l
!