Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Video
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2010 5:25:47 AM

Hello,
What specifications should a laptop have in order to dispense with either integrated or discrete "graphics" cards, for viewing video available on various websites?

More about : discrete graphics card

a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 5:36:10 AM

you mean what vid card does a laptop need to watch videos?
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 6:09:24 AM

For just watching video and websites you can use any laptop...
Laptop with a discrete card is very expensive.
m
l
July 7, 2010 6:19:05 AM

discrete graphics on a laptop will greatly extend the effective life of your laptop... It makes a huge difference! The offload of graphics from the cpu on a mobile processor is far more noticable than a desktop. It should have 512mb or 1gb. And intergrated means its "onboard" and Discrete means it is a dedicated "video card" although they are both physically on the motherboard intergrated is on the south bridge chip and discrete is its own chip.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 12:31:09 PM

wa1 said:
For just watching video and websites you can use any laptop...
Laptop with a discrete card is very expensive.

if im understanding you right, any gpu, integrated or dedicated, will do.
m
l
July 7, 2010 1:43:26 PM

Thanks everyone; you have answered my question. "Any laptop" these days seems to have at least 1 GB of ram, so that will apparently do. Thanks again.
m
l
a c 190 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 2:59:43 PM

1GB is low for today standard, add another 1GB, make sure you have 2GB RAM minimum... :) 
m
l
July 8, 2010 10:30:43 PM

Addict: The website of the manufacturer of my old machine says that it will hold a maximum of 2GB ram, so I will upgrade to that amount. Thank you for the help.
m
l
!