Sign in with
Your question

Wireless Connection Extremely Slow At Times

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 1, 2010 9:52:20 PM

Hi! I currently have a network with a desktop computer and a laptop. The desktop computer is wired directly to the access point while the laptop uses wireless.

The desktop computer is fine. The problem arises when the desktop computer is in use and the laptop attempts to use the wireless network.

Typically, download speed actually goes 800 kb/s - 1MB/s (The number you see in, say, Firefox's Downloads Window).
The laptop will reach this speed if the desktop is NOT on at all or asleep (that is, there is zero activity). When the desktop is on and active, the laptop's download speed will decrease drastically - it goes from 800 kb/s to maybe 2-10 kb/s on average.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I have Time Warner's Roadrunner and the access point is a router/modem combination (Motorola SBG901). My suspicion is the wired computer eats up the connection when active, leaving nothing left for the wireless network, causing the speeds seen.

Any help troubleshooting this would be awesome. Thanks for your time!
July 7, 2010 1:56:49 PM

do you have a password on your wireless?

reason i ask bc if you don't then people can hope on your wireless freely and eat up your bandwidth
!