Sign in with
Your question

Antec 902. Should I tape up the PCI slots?

Last response: in Components
October 22, 2010 5:54:02 PM

The PCI slots are vented. This is the first case I have seen like that. Since the power supply is right beneath them I imagine lots of dust will get sucked in. Should I seal them up with some black electrical tape?
a c 248 ) Power supply
October 22, 2010 7:19:13 PM

A lot of the newer gaming cases have the vented slots. The idea is that they help exhaust warm air from the video cards.

I have a Lian Li / Lancool Dragon Lord case with the vented slots. I can definitely feel warm air being exhausted from those vented slots.
October 22, 2010 8:41:06 PM

The question is, if you block these vents, where will the air come from? If all your fans blow-out, there must be a vent somewhere to allow air-in. If you have fans in the front pull air-in, then I wouldn't worry about the dust coming in through these vents, the dust the front-fans are blowing in will be far greater. Yes, you can use dust-screens, but they are only minimally effective, and when they clog, they block airflow and can reduce the life of your fans.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you run your PC in a clean room or run a completely liquid-cooled system, you can't avoid dust. If you are worried, find a dust filter screen (a foam one), cut it up, and place it (tape it) in all the open slots. This would block some of the dust coming in while still allowing air flow. Of course, only do this if you don't feel air being blow-out those vents. If air is blowing-out, you don't have to worry about dust with those vents.
Related resources
October 22, 2010 8:55:03 PM

Thanks guys. The Antec 902 has two 120mm front intake fans and I installed an optional 120mm side window fan. All of those are sucking air in.

Once I get my second GTX 460 installed I will check to see if air is being sucked in or blown out of those vents.
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 2:54:00 AM

I've been using a 902 for close to a year now and have never observed a dust problem in that area.
Most of the dust build-up i have is in the two front drive cages.
Makes sense since that's were the intake air comes in.
My psu and pci vent area have never had any dust build-up.
And i agree the vented slots are a good thing i'm glad they're there.
The air is definitely blowing out the vents in my case.
October 23, 2010 6:20:13 AM

Thanks Davcon. I will keep an eye on it. If the PS didn't suck air in I wouldn't have even thought about covering them.

I am going to have 2 MSI Cyclone GTX 460s. They don't exhaust directly out of the case. I imagine some of their hot air does though. With the side intake and two front intakes sucking air in I imagine not much air would be sucked in the vents by the PS.
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 1:30:42 PM

I've done it on my p180, so that air flows from fan to fan, and not from fan+gaps to fans
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 2:32:47 PM

beekermartin said:
Thanks Davcon. I will keep an eye on it. If the PS didn't suck air in I wouldn't have even thought about covering them.

I am going to have 2 MSI Cyclone GTX 460s. They don't exhaust directly out of the case. I imagine some of their hot air does though. With the side intake and two front intakes sucking air in I imagine not much air would be sucked in the vents by the PS.

The 902 has exceptional airflow and with the large 200mm top exhaust fan and a side intake fan your Cyclones shouldn't be much of a problem.
I added a fan on the back of one of my drive cages which blows directly on my gpu.My cpu cooler prevented a side fan install.
This dropped temps on my gpu by 2C.
It's another option for you when you add the two gpu's.
Btw my psu is installed with the intake fan facing down so it only pulls in the coolest air which would be at the bottom of the case since hot air rises.
October 23, 2010 4:19:10 PM

You installed the PS facing the bottom of the case? There isn't enough clearance for that I don't think. It will fit of course but there would only be about 1/8th of an inch of clearance between the bottom of the case and PS fan.
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 25, 2010 1:47:01 AM

The PSU does not suck air in from the outside. It exhausts case air to the outside.
October 25, 2010 5:44:32 AM

jsc said:
The PSU does not suck air in from the outside. It exhausts case air to the outside.

I know that. I assume most people here do as well. Does Davcon?

As far as I know all PS fans, including those with multiple fans, all suck air in (from inside the case of course) and exhaust it out the back. I don't know of any that suck air into the case.
!