Sign in with
Your question

Corsair hx650 vs thermaltake evo blue 750watt psu

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2010 11:01:39 AM

hello all, which is a better psu the corsair hx650 or the tt evo blue 750, and why is one better than other please xplain in as much detail as possible, also will they run gtx 285 and qx9650 oc 3.6ghz, and also will they sli 2x gtx 285, many thanks
August 12, 2010 11:11:18 AM

Well Naz, it's pretty much yes, yes & yes to all the questions.

Both the PSU's will SLI & run any chip OC'ed upto any level. But it's just that the Corsair brand is more preferred in the PSU market by some people. I'll probably go with the Corsair.

But if you don't need modular, you can actually save some money by going for the 650 TX. It's a lot cheaper and alo SLI ready.

Khuda hafis
August 12, 2010 11:15:51 AM

The TT EVO Blue has a rated efficiency of 75%, far lower than the HX 650's ~82%-85%...
For GTX 285 SLI, go for atleast 700W+ to have some headroom...Corsair 750TX would be a very good option...
Related resources
August 12, 2010 11:35:26 AM

Hehe, I really should stop bothering to visit threads when it says gkay has already posted.

I agree with him, you want 700W+ especially as you OC
August 12, 2010 2:11:37 PM

gkay09 said:
The TT EVO Blue has a rated efficiency of 75%, far lower than the HX 650's ~82%-85%...
For GTX 285 SLI, go for atleast 700W+ to have some headroom...Corsair 750TX would be a very good option...

Hi gk thanks for your reply, the thing is i have just purchased a tt evo blue 750 while waiting for rma delivery from corsair who have sent me a new hx650 only yesterday for exchange of my hx520.( SUPER WARRANTY SERVICE FROM COSAIR ). The thing is im not sure which psu to use in my recently 1st build ever rig, as i am relatively new to building my own pc. so a bit confused with 2 psu's and which to keep and which to sell on or keep as backup ?. The main things for me is reliability and performance though, and future enhancements for my existing rig. The tt evo blue 750 is a beutifull looking and built psu.
My rig is as follows:

Asus Striker 2 Exteme Ultra 790i M-Board
Intel Extreme QX9650 Cpu 3.6ghz
Corsair 4GB DDR3 PC3 12800 1600mhz cas 777 20 with corsair fan
BFG GTX 285 OC+
WD Cavier Green 500GB 32mb cache HDD
Pioneer 22x dvd/cd Drive with Labeflash
Arctic 7 Freezer Pro CPU Heatsinfk/fan
Arctic Freezer exhaust fan
led Case side fan
TT Evo Blue 750 watt psu ( Not too sure about to keep or not )

thanks in advance for any advise

August 12, 2010 2:43:05 PM

Are you planning on SLIing soon? If not then I would use the Corsair PSU as it is better quality
August 12, 2010 2:45:49 PM

well if you have both, and only 1 card right now, i would say definitely corsair. higher efficiency, quality, and just better overall. You have to keep in mind the advertised wattage is not everything.

especially since you have a modular corsair, you have higher efficiency, which means you can definitely run those components, and also save on your electricity bill =D
August 13, 2010 3:49:49 AM

^+1 I would vote for the Corsair 650HX over that 750W...If I am not wrong, I feel that 650W would handle your config better and also maybe you could run 2x GTX 285s with that too - maybe its pushing it, but I think it should be able to handle...
August 14, 2010 2:21:49 AM

Anyone noticed that the Evo Blue only has an extra ~50 watts of power on it's 12V rail compared to the 650HX?
August 15, 2010 6:30:34 AM

thanks guys for all your helpfull suggestions re which power supply to keep in my system and use, I think I will use the Corsair Hx650 watt and keep evo blue as a backup due to the corsair having a better efficiency and overall a better unit.

One other thing i noticed is the evo blue 750 tends to run hotter than my previous corsair hx520 when playing 3d intensive games cod mw2 etc, why is that ? there is a 230watt advantage and a bigger fan in the evo blue 750, so should it not run cooler ? and does it mean it will die soon ?, also a few days before my hx520 died i noticed that it was running hotter than usual, and then just would not power on my system, i was just getting flickering led's on the motherboard and assumed it was the power supply which i was not too sure about as corsair instructed me to do the paperclip test and the fan did come on the hx520, and i was more confused thinking the psu was fine and started thinking other possibilitis for system not powering up. So i just thought there is not enough current getting from psu through the motherboard and decided to take a gamble and buy a new psu to be 100% sure if the hx520 was dead. Thats how i ended up with the evo blue 750, as soon as i wired the new psu hit power button and all came to life to my relief, and i sent off the hx520 rma to corsair 100% sure it was dead . ( so PAPERCLIP TEST IS NOT A 100% RELIABLE WAY TO TEST IF YOUR PSU IS DEAD OR ALIVE ). So why did hx520 pass paperclip test ?, and when i was looking at it inside computer fan was not moving this is what made me think it was psu,

thanks guys and hope you dont mind me asking many more questions that i need to be addressed
August 15, 2010 6:31:42 AM

Silvune said:
Anyone noticed that the Evo Blue only has an extra ~50 watts of power on it's 12V rail compared to the 650HX?

Please can you explain how do you mean, thanks
August 15, 2010 6:44:00 AM

snoshy said:
well if you have both, and only 1 card right now, i would say definitely corsair. higher efficiency, quality, and just better overall. You have to keep in mind the advertised wattage is not everything.

especially since you have a modular corsair, you have higher efficiency, which means you can definitely run those components, and also save on your electricity bill =D

thanks for your reply, please explain how do you mean advertised wattage is not everything ?, the evo blue 750 is also a modular psu in fact it has one less wire permanently attached than hx650, but ican understand from replies that they both seem to be very similar psu's in terms of the 12v rail and wattage etc, i read on one site that he hx650 did perform at over 700watt in some reviews almost the same if not better than most 750watt psu's, this makes my choice even harder between the 2, though i do prefer corsair hx650, but like the looks of the evo blue 750 inside my alienware case with a window, though ultimately i am a performance man over looks, cheers thanks
August 15, 2010 6:54:30 AM

asteldian said:
Are you planning on SLIing soon? If not then I would use the Corsair PSU as it is better quality

hi thanks for your reply, yes i do plan to sli 2x gtx 285 in the next couple of months, or maybe sell 285 and get 295 0r even maybe 480, but dont know much if i will see much difference in gameplay as i have yet to find a game that slows down the mighty 285, maybe its because im gaming on 1366x768 on acer x163w monitor, i do intend to get a new monitor by the end of the year maybe a 24' HD 3d ready screen, any advise on screens would also help me, thanks

ps: was thinking do you think my 285 killed my hx520 as kids have been gaming quite intensively over the past few months
August 15, 2010 7:05:34 AM

calguyhunk said:
Well Naz, it's pretty much yes, yes & yes to all the questions.

Both the PSU's will SLI & run any chip OC'ed upto any level. But it's just that the Corsair brand is more preferred in the PSU market by some people. I'll probably go with the Corsair.

But if you don't need modular, you can actually save some money by going for the 650 TX. It's a lot cheaper and alo SLI ready.

Khuda hafis

thanks for your help
!