Sign in with
Your question

(asrock p67) Built a new rig , worked for a few hours...

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2011 10:58:24 PM

Hello, Last night I built a new pc with the intel 2600k sandy bridge, 8gb corsair 1600 ram, and the asrock p67 extreme4 motherboard. The graphics card i have is the gtx 460 768mb and using a brand new thermaltake 775w psu. While using the pc the computer would randomly restart after watching an hd file but then it would work fine for what seemed like at least 6 to 7 hours. This morning I turned on the pc and the computer began restarting. After going on BIos the pc would still restart by itself so i checked everything and decided to use my psu from my other computer, an old thermaltake 750w which has fixed this problem. I also noticed that the psu i was using with this new rig made a strange annoying sound whenever it worked. Anyways, i was wondering if this psu (750w) should be safe to use with this rig.
here are screenshots of the bios with the old psu which seems to be working fine:

June 16, 2011 11:38:36 PM

Yes, it should be fine to use the old 750 W psu. Just make sure you clean the dust inside if there is any with a compressed air can.
June 16, 2011 11:48:49 PM

I did before putting it in. Im going to be returning the defective psu to amazon, how cool i dont have to pay for shippin to rma unlike newegg!
Related resources
July 9, 2011 9:01:33 PM

Has swapping in that old power supply worked to keep your system stable since you put it in?

I ask because I have the same random reboot and restart issue on an ASRock P67 board. I, however, have a different power supply; a new Corsair 750 Watt PSU. So, different power supply, but same board. I suspect it is the board but wondered if it might be something else. I have G Skill RAM and a Sapphire GPU. The only thing your system and mine have in common (that I can tell) is the mother board. This is the second one I have had. I returned the first one for this and another problem.
July 9, 2011 10:08:51 PM

swapping the psu def helped keep my system stable. The old psu did boot up the system but at times the pc did restart and when it did it didnt have enough power to boot up completely. I would def try out a diff psu before sending back the motherboard.
July 9, 2011 10:10:49 PM

also just reminding you that the psu i had originally was a thermaltake 775w and the one im using now is an older 750w from 2007. I would also check that gpu on a diff system to make sure thats not the source for your problems as well.
July 11, 2011 3:54:57 AM

had the same issue... i have a 768mb 460 too... my nvidia drivers did not like daemon tools... i removed daemon tools and my system is rock solid...
!