Built my computer... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I just built my first computer. Everything inside looks like it works... All 3 case fans are turned on. The CPU fan is working. The GPU fan is spinning.

Now I know I'm supposed to install the OS first but here's where the problem comes.

My new 21.5 inch LG monitor came with a VGA cable. My XFX Radeon HD 5850 supports only DVI. I found that it came with a VGA/DVI adapter though. For some reason.. my monitor keeps going into power saving mode when my computer is turned on. It's almost as if it isn't even connected. I don't see any screen at all?

What could be causing the problem?

Everything is completely new.

My specs

LG E2250T 21.5 inch FLATTRON 1900x1080
i7-930 CPU
Jetway JBI-600 mobo
1 TB Hitachi HDD
ATI Radeon HD 5850
6 GB RAM

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

2. Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket? If the motherboard has 8 pins and your PSU only has 4 pins, you can use the 4-pin connector. The 4-pin connector USUALLY goes on the 4 pins located closest to the CPU. If the motherboard has an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins, you can remove the cover and use an 8-pin plug if your power supply has one. This power connector provides power to the CPU. Your system has no chance of posting without this connector plugged in! Check your motherboard owners manual for more information about the CPU power connector. The CPU power connector is usually referred to as the "12v ATX" connector in the owners manual. This is easily the most common new-builder mistake.

LMFAO. Says It's the most common new builder mistake. Yea thats what I forgot to do.

Memtest is more for testing the RAM for errors. Prime95 is more for stress testing an OC.

It's not a bad idea to run memtest, but it's not needed. I don't even usually run it, unless I start having problems.

Now is when you would want to start the format/install process.

Status
Not open for further replies.