how to find Drivers for an unknown Thinkpad I-series

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
December 1, 2004 11:51:27 PM

I should somehow test a IBM-Thinkpad I series with 2 different
Typenumbers on the bottom of the housing, one says Type 2611 and the
other TYPE1141-8GE.

At www-307.ibm.com it was not possible for me to "localise" these 2
numbers so that I can download the correct drivers...

Any help would be great..

TIA
--

Michael Wieser
Anonymous

>I should somehow test a IBM-Thinkpad I series with 2 different
>Typenumbers on the bottom of the housing, one says Type 2611 and the
>other TYPE1141-8GE.
>
> At www-307.ibm.com it was not possible for me to "localise" these 2
>numbers so that I can download the correct drivers...
>
>Any help would be great..

I had one of these and believe you have an IBM ThinkPad 1400 Series
(Type 2611)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
December 2, 2004 1:09:55 AM

Michael Wieser wrote:

> I should somehow test a IBM-Thinkpad I series with 2 different
> Typenumbers on the bottom of the housing, one says Type 2611 and the
> other TYPE1141-8GE.
>
> At www-307.ibm.com it was not possible for me to "localise" these 2
> numbers so that I can download the correct drivers...

Huh? Just plug "2611" into the search box on that page and you get to a
page that lists the I series 1400 and 1500 2611, pick one and you get to
the driver page.

If you have a working copy of Windows on the machine, you could just hit
"detect my system", let the control download, let it run, and you're there.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:09:55 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Michael Wieser wrote:
>
>> I should somehow test a IBM-Thinkpad I series with 2 different
>> Typenumbers on the bottom of the housing, one says Type 2611 and the
>> other TYPE1141-8GE.
>>
>> At www-307.ibm.com it was not possible for me to "localise" these 2
>> numbers so that I can download the correct drivers...
>
>Huh? Just plug "2611" into the search box on that page and you get to a
>page that lists the I series 1400 and 1500 2611, pick one and you get to
>the driver page.

Oh yeah and then I install the Celeron-Stuff on a Pentium-1 Box... As
I wrote there are 2 type-numbers on this thinkpad. After testing the
2611-stuff I assume that the 1141-8ge is the correct typenuber as the
2611 doesn`t bring up something which looks usefull for this model I
have here on my bench....

>If you have a working copy of Windows on the machine, you could just hit
>"detect my system", let the control download, let it run, and you're there.

Thats right, but to come up to this level I need the PCMCIA-Interface
_and_ the PCMCIA-Lancard working, which isn`t possible without the
correct drivers I try to find on this website.....

--

Michael Wieser
Anonymous

Michael Wieser wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:09:55 -0500, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Michael Wieser wrote:
>>
>>> I should somehow test a IBM-Thinkpad I series with 2 different
>>> Typenumbers on the bottom of the housing, one says Type 2611 and the
>>> other TYPE1141-8GE.
>>>
>>> At www-307.ibm.com it was not possible for me to "localise" these 2
>>> numbers so that I can download the correct drivers...
>>
>>Huh? Just plug "2611" into the search box on that page and you get to a
>>page that lists the I series 1400 and 1500 2611, pick one and you get to
>>the driver page.
>
> Oh yeah and then I install the Celeron-Stuff on a Pentium-1 Box...

And this would be a problem why?

Hint--there is nothing magic about a Celeron that would require different
software from a Pentium. Neither has a Pentium-1. The 1400 has a 266 MHz
processor, which would be a Pentium II, the 1500 has a Celeron 366, which
would also be a Pentium II, with a different cache size and with support
for symmetric multiprocessing theoretically (but not practically) disabled.
From the viewpoint of the operating system and device drivers the two
processors are the same.

If you actually compare the driver matrices for the 1400 and 1500 then
you'll find that they are substantially the same, and if there are any
items that are different you should be able to delay installing those until
you've got the machine up to the point where you can identify the specific
hardware that is present.

> As
> I wrote there are 2 type-numbers on this thinkpad. After testing the
> 2611-stuff I assume that the 1141-8ge is the correct typenuber as the
> 2611 doesn`t bring up something which looks usefull for this model I
> have here on my bench....
>
>>If you have a working copy of Windows on the machine, you could just hit
>>"detect my system", let the control download, let it run, and you're
>>there.
>
> Thats right, but to come up to this level I need the PCMCIA-Interface
> _and_ the PCMCIA-Lancard working, which isn`t possible without the
> correct drivers I try to find on this website.....

You don't have a dialup account anywhere?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 7:18:05 PM

>> Oh yeah and then I install the Celeron-Stuff on a Pentium-1 Box...
>
>And this would be a problem why?

Well, I usually try to use the drivers for the required hardware. And
a Celeron is something different then a Pentium-1. AFAIR a Celeron is
a Cache-reduced PII, which is more or less a PentiumPro with MMX in an
other housing..., this results in an other chipset and so on

>Hint--there is nothing magic about a Celeron that would require different
>software from a Pentium.

I`m not talking about User-Software, I`m talking about
hardwaredrivers, this is software too, but very hardwaredependend.

>Neither has a Pentium-1. The 1400 has a 266 MHz

No, this Thinkpad I`m asking about has a P1-300. No Celeron inside,
and therefore no 1400 as this IBM-Website says..

>> As
>> I wrote there are 2 type-numbers on this thinkpad. After testing the
>> 2611-stuff I assume that the 1141-8ge is the correct typenuber as the
>> 2611 doesn`t bring up something which looks usefull for this model I
>> have here on my bench....
>>

>You don't have a dialup account anywhere?

No. Dialup is not allowed at this location and to risky for my job
and W98... The owner takes care.

Anyway, with a little help from Linux I found out some hardwaredetails
and downloaded the related drivers.

Thanks for your help anyway,

I`m leaving this group now as the Thinkpad is running again...
--

Michael Wieser
Anonymous

Michael Wieser wrote:

>>> Oh yeah and then I install the Celeron-Stuff on a Pentium-1 Box...
>>
>>And this would be a problem why?
>>

> Well, I usually try to use the drivers for the required hardware. And
> a Celeron is something different then a Pentium-1. AFAIR a Celeron is
> a Cache-reduced PII, which is more or less a PentiumPro with MMX in an
> other housing..., this results in an other chipset and so on

So which 2611 models have a Pentium I? Before you answer, go over to the
Intel site and see what the clock speeds were for the Pentium I and
remember that IBM does not ever overclock.

And would it have been so difficult for you to see if IBM provides different
chipset drivers for the 1400 and 1500? Or is that too obvious a thing to
check?

>>Hint--there is nothing magic about a Celeron that would require different
>>software from a Pentium.
>
> I`m not talking about User-Software, I`m talking about
> hardwaredrivers, this is software too, but very hardwaredependend.
>
>>Neither has a Pentium-1. The 1400 has a 266 MHz
>
> No, this Thinkpad I`m asking about has a P1-300.

Wrong. The fastest Pentium-I that Intel ever shipped was a 233 MHz chip.
If it's a 300 then it's necessarily a Pentium II, Celeron, or Xeon--they
did not ship a PIII or a PPro at that speed. And I seriously doubt that
it's a Xeon.

> No Celeron inside,
> and therefore no 1400 as this IBM-Website says..

So you've answered your question.

>>> As
>>> I wrote there are 2 type-numbers on this thinkpad. After testing the
>>> 2611-stuff I assume that the 1141-8ge is the correct typenuber as the
>>> 2611 doesn`t bring up something which looks usefull for this model I
>>> have here on my bench....
>>>

>>You don't have a dialup account anywhere?
>
> No. Dialup is not allowed at this location and to risky for my job
> and W98... The owner takes care.

I won't argue over it being "risky for your job" except to say that if your
bosses forbid dialout even to do machine repairs but allow Internet access
then they need new brains because they clearly wore out their old ones.

As for being risky for Windows 98, in what way is dialup access "risky" for
Windows 98?

> Anyway, with a little help from Linux I found out some hardwaredetails
> and downloaded the related drivers.

If you found out that it was a Pentium I 300 then what you found out was in
error.

!