trouble with Sigma SD-10 and Photopro

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 27, 2004 4:19:50 PM

Hello,

I am assisting a neighbor with his SD-10. He is using and imac, 10.2,
with 50gig free on the hard drive.

About a week ago, he hooked up the SD-10 and started Photopro. He was
unable to unload the photos from his camera, it said there was no room
on the hard drive. As far as he could tell, there were many gigabytes
free.

So, he uninstalled (using the uninstaller) Photopro and then tried to
reinstall using the the CD (version 2.0). He was not able to reinstall,
a the point where it asks where to install, the Application folder is
selected, but the NEXT button never becomes active. He cannot install
it in any other folder or make a new folder. In the top of the window,
the installer says it needs 15mb to install, and 0mb is available.

He called Sigma tech support, and they had him throw away the user
preference for photopro and the original photopro folder in the
applications folder (this was not present, since he had uninstalled).

This did not solve his problem.

So, I came over, here is what I have done:
Repair disk permissions
Create a new user and attempt to install while logged into this account
Downloaded and attempted to install photopro 2.1, same result, no room
to install
Run disk warrior and replace directory, Run Norton Utils and fix all
problems
Upgrade his imac from 10.2 to 10.2.8
Clean up the various logs and caches on his computer
Install a few other programs to make sure the installation process is
working, no problems.

I am out of ideas on troubleshooting this problem. We would sure
appreciate any suggestions.

mark

More about : trouble sigma photopro

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 8:52:25 PM

In article <1104182390.449108.71600@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<woodenski@excite.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am assisting a neighbor with his SD-10. He is using and imac, 10.2,
> with 50gig free on the hard drive.
>
> About a week ago, he hooked up the SD-10 and started Photopro. He was
> unable to unload the photos from his camera, it said there was no room
> on the hard drive. As far as he could tell, there were many gigabytes
> free.
>
> So, he uninstalled (using the uninstaller) Photopro and then tried to
> reinstall using the the CD (version 2.0). He was not able to reinstall,
> a the point where it asks where to install, the Application folder is
> selected, but the NEXT button never becomes active. He cannot install
> it in any other folder or make a new folder. In the top of the window,
> the installer says it needs 15mb to install, and 0mb is available.
>
> He called Sigma tech support, and they had him throw away the user
> preference for photopro and the original photopro folder in the
> applications folder (this was not present, since he had uninstalled).
>
> This did not solve his problem.
>
> So, I came over, here is what I have done:
> Repair disk permissions
> Create a new user and attempt to install while logged into this account
> Downloaded and attempted to install photopro 2.1, same result, no room
> to install
> Run disk warrior and replace directory, Run Norton Utils and fix all
> problems
> Upgrade his imac from 10.2 to 10.2.8
> Clean up the various logs and caches on his computer
> Install a few other programs to make sure the installation process is
> working, no problems.
>
> I am out of ideas on troubleshooting this problem. We would sure
> appreciate any suggestions.

first off, get rid of norton utilities *now*. that can cause all sorts
of problems (not necessarily this one). stick with diskwarrior and
apple's disk utility.

you might try launching console (in applications/utilities) and see if
there are any messages written that offer clues as to what is really
going on with the sigma installer.

i have a suspiction that the sigma installer has an overflow bug, so
when it sees 50 gig free, it treats it as negative and reports it as 0
gig free. or it is not asking for free space correctly and getting
bogus information in return. one way around this is try installing to a
disk with less free space (an external drive perhaps, or just
temporarily fill up the internal).

personally, i would consider this a blessing. the sigma software is
rather buggy (at least it was several months ago when i took a look at
it). photoshop can read raw sigma files, and is a much better way to
go.

you might try asking this on one of the mac groups. sigma probably used
one of the usual installer products available and if the bug is in the
installer, then it might appear with other products.
Anonymous
December 27, 2004 10:38:50 PM

<woodenski@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I am assisting a neighbor with his SD-10. He is using and imac, 10.2,
> with 50gig free on the hard drive.
>
> About a week ago, he hooked up the SD-10 and started Photopro. He was
> unable to unload the photos from his camera, it said there was no room
> on the hard drive. As far as he could tell, there were many gigabytes
> free.
>
> So, he uninstalled (using the uninstaller) Photopro and then tried to
> reinstall using the the CD (version 2.0). He was not able to reinstall,
> a the point where it asks where to install, the Application folder is
> selected, but the NEXT button never becomes active. He cannot install
> it in any other folder or make a new folder. In the top of the window,
> the installer says it needs 15mb to install, and 0mb is available.
>
> He called Sigma tech support, and they had him throw away the user
> preference for photopro and the original photopro folder in the
> applications folder (this was not present, since he had uninstalled).
>
> This did not solve his problem.
>
> So, I came over, here is what I have done:
> Repair disk permissions
> Create a new user and attempt to install while logged into this account
> Downloaded and attempted to install photopro 2.1, same result, no room
> to install
> Run disk warrior and replace directory, Run Norton Utils and fix all
> problems
> Upgrade his imac from 10.2 to 10.2.8
> Clean up the various logs and caches on his computer
> Install a few other programs to make sure the installation process is
> working, no problems.
>
> I am out of ideas on troubleshooting this problem. We would sure
> appreciate any suggestions.
>
> mark

I'm not a Mac user but I can tell you this - the transfer of photos from the
SD9 and SD10 is more than painfully slow - it is excruciating. As another
post noted, use a card reader. They're cheap enough that cost should not be
an issue. Also, I would make sure that the latest version of Sigma Photo
Pro is installed (ver 2.1) as it is much imporved over ver 2.0.

I would post a message in the Sigma users forum on www.dpreview.com. There
are more than a few Mac users in the forum who will be happy to help you
out. Tell your friend to be patient, the rewards are great once he gets a
look at the images he'll produce with his SD10.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 3:14:46 AM

woodenski@excite.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am assisting a neighbor with his SD-10. He is using and imac, 10.2,
> with 50gig free on the hard drive.
>
> About a week ago, he hooked up the SD-10 and started Photopro. He was
> unable to unload the photos from his camera, it said there was no room
> on the hard drive. As far as he could tell, there were many gigabytes
> free.

A card reader and simple drag to the HD would cure a lot of things.

But to do it immediately, forget Photopro. Don't try to use Photoshop
for the D/L process. Open Image Capture, installed by default in the
apps folder. Check its Prefs. to use it for camera offloading. Quit
program, turn on camera, and attach. It should open Image Capture and
present a dialogue.

If this doesn't work, I'd post in comp.sys.mac.systems.....

Good luck.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

>From: woodenski@excite.com

>I am out of ideas on troubleshooting this problem. We would sure
>appreciate any suggestions.

I have 2 suggestions.

1. Dump the Sigma.
2. Lose the Mac.