Average HDD/SSD space consumed?

arcticle

Jul 29, 2012
Questions says it all. I will have my iTunes library (only a few GB worth), and a few games (BF3, Crysis, Civilization, Skyrim) downloaded. How much space will I need? Any more than 250 GB?

G

I'd buy a 120Gb SSD for the OS and and a 500GB/1000GB HDD for the rest but to be honest you could install all the above games/itunes including the OS on the 120GB SSD.

jjhuang42

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
250GB should be plenty. Usual OS and apps shouldn't take more than 50GB. And each game takes about 7GB a piece. I just upgraded from a 128 to 256GB; 128 is just large enough, but I wanted room to grow.

You could always put in a large HDD as a secondary drive for your iTunes library, photos, and videos that don't require SSD speeds.

Concur - One SSD and One HDD.

SSD = OS + programs + most used games.
... Typical OS + programs take around 30-> 35 gigs, Using most common tweaks. Add to that most often used games. For SSDs Must leave a MIN of 15% free so that Trim, CG, and wear leveling can work their magic to keep SSD performing optimumly.
.. HDD. Place itune's here (for My wifes system I placed a small partition just for itunes). Place your BACKup System image here - Done from control panel, backup as this comes in VERY handy if you ever need to re-install OS. Also for all downloads, and files you generate.

For calculation: ie for 128 gig SSD. Formated size is 119 Gigs, then subtract 18 gigs, so usable space for a 128 gig SSD is approx 101 gigs. For a 256 gig that works out to about 204 Gigs usable.

TRENDING THREADS