Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which drive?

Last response: in Storage
November 9, 2012 1:32:25 PM

Not sure which one to go with, i'll have a ssd as a boot drive and for my main applications so i don't really need fast speeds on my storage drive.

Seagate 1.5tb green : 49.99

WD black 1 tb: 74.99

i believe 2 years on the green and 5 years on the black as far as warranty goes

which one would you pick?

More about : drive

a c 95 G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:37:57 PM

1.5TB for $50! Go green!
m
l
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:39:39 PM

I'd choose the Black (and have!) for that warranty; not just for its length, but because it wasn't cut back. Many other drives have had their warranties REDUCED, which does not inspire confidence in materials and/or methods, either or both of which may have changed to cut costs (by cutting quality).
My Intel rig ("Phoenix") and my wife's rig ("Greenhouse") both have RAID1 pairs of WD Black drives in them.
Edit: OTOH, my AMD rig ("Omega") has a pair of 2TB Seagate "LP" drives in it, bought before the flood and before warranties were chopped.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:40:06 PM

The Green is a considerably slower drive. If you don't need the speed, then go for that one. I always lean towards speed for drives as they are the slowest part of a system. A longer warranty is nice too.
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:45:16 PM

is the green also much quieter than the black?

quietness is more important than speed for me.

still on the fence as 74.99 seems like a fantastic price for the black.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:49:19 PM

Depends on what you're storing. If it's media files, go with the Green drive, as capacity is king. If it's going to be storing commonly used games/applications, do yourself a favor and get the Black. The higher load on the drive will make it more likely to fail, making that warranty a very nice perk, and the drive is much faster so your applications will load more quickly.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:50:05 PM

The Blacks I have (in pairs, so noise is doubled too) are near-silent. This is an improvement over the first Black drive I ever got, which was the noisiest drive I've owned (but not intolerable). They now seem to be as quiet as any other mechanical drive I have.
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:50:22 PM

i have a 180gb ssd so i dont think ill be storing important programs on the green

what im concerned about is the failure rate, there seems to be much better reviews for the black and i hate rmaing stuff.

how do you tell if its the new version or the old version
m
l
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:54:24 PM

I cannot imagine there'd be any of the old version left; that was 2-3 years ago.
m
l
November 9, 2012 1:56:03 PM

how easy is it to do this:

use my existing 500gb drive for now for files and documents

and when a good deal pops up, i replace the 500gb with another drive.

Since windows wouldnt' be on it, is it simply remove the old drive and put the new drive in or do i have to reformat or something?
m
l
a c 95 G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:57:35 PM

I wouldn't make this too hard. Both drives are good choices. Go with your gut, and either way, you will be good to go. Still, hard to say no to 1.5TB of storage at $50. That is a heck of a bargain. In 2 years, you'll be looking for an even bigger drive anyway. Don't let the warranty distract you too much.
m
l
a c 95 G Storage
November 9, 2012 1:59:36 PM

princeth said:
how easy is it to do this:

use my existing 500gb drive for now for files and documents

and when a good deal pops up, i replace the 500gb with another drive.

Since windows wouldnt' be on it, is it simply remove the old drive and put the new drive in or do i have to reformat or something?

This is a no-brainer and easy to do. You can simply clone the old drive to a new, bigger drive when that time comes. I use clonezilla for tasks like this all of the time. Get it here:

http://clonezilla.org/
m
l
November 9, 2012 2:06:33 PM

So i wouldn't have to reformat my ssd in order to put a new storage drive in?
m
l

Best solution

a c 95 G Storage
November 9, 2012 2:14:36 PM

princeth said:
So i wouldn't have to reformat my ssd in order to put a new storage drive in?

Nope.
November 9, 2012 2:16:26 PM

alright thanks a lot, just going to use my existing drive then :) 
m
l
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 2:51:57 PM

Yep, installing new drives is a breeze. Just plug it in, boot up, create the partition and you're good to go. Takes like 10 minutes.
m
l
November 9, 2012 5:58:38 PM

Best answer selected by princeth.
m
l
!