Sign in with
Your question

Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drive -- Not spinning

Last response: in Storage
November 9, 2012 2:23:38 PM

Hi everyone,

I've recently built myself a new rig, which includes a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB HDD. The drive is meant as a secondary storage drive, my boot drive being a Crucial M4 128GB Solid State Drive (CT128M4SSD2). Both drives are currently connected through SATA 6GB/s ports.

The problem is that when I start my computer, the Seagate drive starts to spin up, but once a few seconds have passed, it chirps & clicks twice and then stops spinning entirely. Furthermore, when I entered my BIOS (my MOBO is a Asus Maximus V Formula), the drive did not appear under SATA Configuration until recently, and even then only as a 4GB drive (my Crucial drive doesn't appear in my Configuration either, sometimes :??:  ). It does, however, appear in my Boot Order options, and I think I set it as primary slave (it's second after my SSD in boot priority).

Looking at Disk Management through Windows 7 Professional, the drive appears as an unknown 128GB drive with unallocated space; I realize that this is the same size as my SSD, but I'm not sure what to make of that fact. When I try to allocate using the GUID partition table format, Windows gives me an I/O error message. The weird part is that the drivers for the Seagate drive install in Windows.

Some of the things I've tried to do are: use another SATA 6GB/s cable, as well as another port; use a SATA 3GB/s cable and port; use a different PSU SATA power cable; flashing the motherboard BIOS to the most updated version; and attempt to upgrade Seagate drive firmware, but can't or don't know how to install on a drive I can't see in Windows. I unfortunately do not own an enclosure for this drive, so can't test it that way yet.

I heard that the particular noise made by my drive is indicative of bad heads. However, I'm trying to avoid RMA and exchange before I exhaust every option. Sorry for writing an epic novel about this problem, but I'm trying to give every detail so nothing is lacking...if anyone can help, please let me know!

For reference, here's a list of my parts:

MOBO: Asus Maximus V Formula w/ Intel Z77 chipset, LGA1155 socket
CPU: Intel Core-i7 3770K Unlocked, 3.5Ghz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low-Profile 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM
GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GeForce GTX 680 PCI-E 3.0x16 2GB Card 02G-P4-2684-KR
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX 192 KHz 24-bit
CPU Fan: Noctua DH-14 65.0 CFM Cooler
Disc Drive: LITE-ON Black 12X IHBS112-04
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 ATX Full Tower RC-932-KKN3-GP
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 24PIN ATX12V HCG-750
Boot Drive: Crucial M4 128GB Solid State Drive CT128M4SSD2
Secondary Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3TB HDD ST3000DM001
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 3:39:02 PM

You have a dead drive. I hope you backed it up or don't care. Otherwise bend over and grab your ankles. You're about to get screwed and you won't even get kissed.
m
l
November 9, 2012 7:23:29 PM

It's a new drive, so I haven't even been able to put anything on it. I was hoping it wouldn't need to be RMA'd, though... in the case that I do need to send it back, Seagate's warranty only covers exchange, but does anyone know if they would also give me a refund if I asked?
m
l
!