Sign in with
Your question

Will ATI 5450 work with old AL8-V m/b

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 4:04:38 PM

Hi, I'm a noob builder so be kind!

I have a pc my uncle built for me 3 years ago. It has a 128 mbit graphics card which I want to upgrade for Starcraft 2. Did some research yesterday and the ATI Radeon 5450 looks good and well-priced. My board is an Abit AL8-V (LGA775). Just wondering if they are compatible.

The card specs are here (http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...)

The board specs are here (http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/motherboard/motherboard_...)

I was also thinking of getting a new monitor. If anyone can advise on a full HD screen, with 2 HDMI (cause I have a Ps3 also) and good brightness and contrast. Size around 20-22", preferably under €300

Many thanks!
Rob

More about : ati 5450 work al8

July 7, 2010 7:55:25 PM

Your card and board match, if there is a x16 PCIE slot your good. But there is a few problems that i have to let you know.

The gpu and the mobo aren't all you need to look at. You have to look at your psu ( power supply and your Cpu do to bottle necking reasons. I posted this in another thread i'll just copy and paste the post i made.

Quote:
The way you can check your power supply is by opening up the case and looking for a a box in some terms. Some times the box is black grey or what ever color. ( It stands out nicely ) Know once you located the - Box - or power supply look for a sticker. You should see something like this...
Click to zoom

The way you can check your power supply is by opening up the case and looking for a a box in some terms. Some times the box is black grey or what ever color. ( It stands out nicely ) Know once you located the - Box - or power supply look for a sticker. You should see something like this...

First make sure that the requirement wattage for the card is met to your power supply. Say if you were looking at a card with a recommended power supply of 400 Watts you would look at the sticker. ( lets look at this one )

This one is easy to read, this says Total Power : 600 Watts. But we only need some were around 400 so we're ok for that one.

Now to get more along the 12 volt rails here's a link to my card and go to system requirements to find the rail.
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/GTSseri...

NVIDIA MINIMUM POWER SUPPLY REQUIREMENTS

* Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 26A)
* One 6-pin supplementary power connector

* I'll explain the 6-pin a little latter on *

Now this sticker has 2 rails of voltage if im right, one says +12V1 : +12V2.
You then want to see the current that each rail carries - 19A - Normally people just add them together to get a 38A rail. The sticker is more acurate then my answer so that's what we'll go off of for know. We need a 12V rail on a rating of 26A, the sticker says 35A so we pass that.

6-pin power connector is for more high end graphics cards like this one. Some cards require a bit more power so they hook up straight to the PSU ( power supply ) The 6 pin connector should look like this.

If your power supply doesn't come with on of these cables, its all right mainly the card will. But if your power supply doesn't have one of these cables there must be a reason why? So i wouldn't advice you useing the cable that they gave you if your psu doesn't have one already.

Make sure the room of the graphics card fits inside of your machine and also make sure the you have a PCIE slot is the right size for your graphics card. The size slot for the graphics card is normally on the specifications page or requirements. most cards today require a PCIE slot of x16 2.0. Don't worry about the 2.0, if you bought your computer 2 years ago your ok.

Make sure that your cpu isn't going to bottle neck your graphics card, im not sure why im saying this im having a similar problem like this. Just make your your cpu meets the gpu's requirement.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:47:59 PM

Thanks mate, should be ok for power supply but how will I know if my cpu is slowing up the gpu? The cpu is a few years old, its a pentium 4, 3 Ghz dual core.
July 8, 2010 5:11:05 AM

Your cpu just by the looks of it should be fine. But you can check the requirements of the card. Like the box that my card came in says ( Gts 250 )

Intel Pentium 4, AMD anthlon Xp class processor or higher.

Thats what it says on my box.

Your Cpu should be sufficient. At 3.0Ghz for the Pentium is right on the recommended requirement for a GTS 250. My card is pretty high end but nothing like a 285. Your processor is fine.

To tell if your "bottlenecking" your card when you get it. Do some bench marks and read reviews on what the card can dish out. Say your running gears of war at 62fps on medium. I would go to http://www.yougamers.com/. It's almost like Can you Run it http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/. I like using You gamer becuase it's more accurate and it goes in depth on what is stronger ( gpu or cpu ). You can get your system checked out and compare it to almost any game.

Related resources
!