Alright, here's most of my build. Buying tonight. Fill in the blanks?

GatewaySkeptic

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tonight

BUDGET RANGE: $835

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Mostly gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I already have OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit), monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States of America

PARTS PREFERENCES: Already picked out CPU and Mobo. Intel and Asus.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes, though maybe not right away.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Depends on whether or not it'll be more efficient to upgrade to a single 5870 or add another 5770 and crossfire.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts.

CPU and Motherboard bundle: $340

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
and
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

[Link below]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.465993

Ram: $95

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

[Link below]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277&cm_re=G.SKILL_4GB_%282_x_2GB%29-_-20-231-277-_-Product

GPU and PSU bundle: $245

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
and
XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W ATX12V 2.2 / ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...

[Link below]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.469151

HDD: $55

HDD -SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB

[Link below]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181&Tpk=HDD%20-SAMSUNG%20Spinpoint%20F3%20HD502HJ%20500GB

That totals to $735, leaving me with about $100 to spend on remaining parts.

I still need.

1. Optical. None of that adware crap that they put on some of them, where something comes up every time you eject a disk or something.

2. Case. Should be able to fit my graphics card and everything else comfortable. I DON'T like flashy lights and stuff, but I am a fan of sleek looking cases in general. No old grey 90's case or anything, haha.

3. Some kind of cooling system for my CPU I guess. Ive heard this Arctic Silver stuff is really good, but I dont know much about what to actually buy/ whats compatible.

Once you've added the parts, please answer the questions if you could :)

1. Are all parts compatible? (IMPORTANT, obviously)
2. Is the case big enough to support Crossfire in the future? Or if not that, would it be able to fit a single 5870?
3. Is my PSU big enough? (Not physical size)
4, Does the optical come with any adware crap?
5. Are there any parts that you know of that are loud on this build? HDD's, Opticals, etc.

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I think from reading your post you are a little confused on the CPU cooling. The Artic Silver you are referring to is merely a thermal paste or compound. This stuff is used to help conduct heat from the CPU to a CPU heatsink/cooler. However, the CPU you purchase will come with thermal paste and a stock cooler (usually an aluminum/copper block of blades with a small fan that attaches to the top). So no need to get that right away, if you won't be overclocking right away. And you can pick up 3rd party paste and a 3rd party cooler later - if you decide to later overclock.

Not sure about this "adware" stuff you are referring to with the optical drive, but you should just pick up a $20-$30 drive from newegg...LG or Samsung for example.

Leaving about $70 for the case. Both of these are highly recommended and very highly rated:
1. Antec 300
2. CM 690

The Antec has no lights. The CM 690 has a front LED with the fan, but you don't have to plug that in if you don't want to. The CM 690 is the one used in the video in my sig (I believe), and he uses the LED, so you can see what it looks like.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Arctic Silver 5 for $10. Hey this is $1 over budget, but you get a free reading light with it.

Edit for instructions and alternative that does not require break in:

I noticed that the OEM version of the paste does not have instructions. The method of applying Arctic Silver is very specific, so here is a pdf for that: Arctic Silver Installation.

Also, I noticed there is a 200 hour break in period - nothing special except turn your machine off when not in use. If you want an alternative that has no special instructions or break in: MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu for $8.

NeoElemental

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I really love the Lancool case posted here. May not be the best case @ $100 retail, but a RIDICULOUS steal @ $50, which is what I got it at, or $35 which is what you're getting it at.

One thing to note is that the fans that come on the LanCool (2 top fans, one front intake) have blue LED's. I don't find them that bright, especially once the grating is over them, but you may not like them. The LED's are built INTO the fans, which makes disabling them hard (you might just be better off buying new fans).

I would STILL say that this case is worth it though, even if you have to buy additional fans because of the LED issue. The toolless install, dampened HD bays, easy cable management are all almost unheard of at less than $50.

ALSO, I would check out this combo deal!

EVGA 768-P3-1362-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 768MB
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.469299

The 460 is not that much more than the 5770, and gets way better performance in most cases (http://techreport.com/articles.x/19404/11). The XFX is a better PSU than the OCZ, but the OCZ is by no means terrible from what I've heard.