ATI Drivers/Catalyst Control Centre Won't Install

thirtytwentyten

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hello,

I tried updating the drivers on my mobility radeon HD4650 (Win 7 x64) laptop from the 10.5 previously installed to the latest 10.6 release. I've had no problems doing so in the past with the installers provided on ATI website. However, after uninstalling all previous ATI drivers and running the new 10.6 setup - the installer only gives me the option to install the ATI catalyst install manager and not the drivers or Catalyst Control Centre....

After realising it wasn't going to work I tried to go back to the 10.5 release and the 10.5 installer is doing the same! No option to install drivers or CCC just the ATI install manager.... It's as if the installer is not recognising I have the HD4650 installed. However it is functioning perfectly and is still shown in the device manager.

So now I am stuck with the OLD ATI drivers provided by windows update as they are the only ones that I can get to install, and no Catalyst Control Centre.

Tried doing full uninstalls and removing all traces of previous drivers before reinstalling a number of times with no success - it just isn't giving me the option to install CCC.

Something seems very strange if I cant even go back to the drivers I was using with no problems before.... Any ideas? Am I somehow able to force the software to install?? Very grateful for any help received as I'm at my wits end!

rtil

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
it has always been a pain to upgrade drivers and CCC. what i had to do was run driver sweeper and windows installer cleanup utility to completely wipe the old stuff so i could install the new.

the problems seems to be that CCC doesn't completely remove itself when you uninstall it, and the traces left make upgrading impossible without manual removal.

thirtytwentyten

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Hi... Yes have always followed this procedure when upgrading the drivers and CCC... there is something different this time. There is absolutely no trace of any ATI software on my system but it is not giving me the option to install drivers/CCC at all....

rtil

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
so are you saying that when you open the ATI installer utility it does not give you the options to re-install anything? if that is the case, there may be registry entries left that is telling the installer there is ATI software present. and if you can't install CCC, just install the driver, and get guru3D's ATI Tray Tools. it's a less clunky, more practical approach to controlling your card.

thirtytwentyten

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
The installer gives the option to install Catalyst Install Manager, a Lord of the Rings demo, and "Communication opt-in". It shows that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 is already installed. So unable to install the driver or CCC.

hidey-holey

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I have the same problem.
the driver itslef is not a big deal if it wont install, I still can go to device manager, remove the current default driver, reboot, open DM again, then update the adapter from there.
Choose browse my computer instead of auto search, and locate your ati extraction folder (its in the root of C, by default) viola, the newer driver installed.

In case of CCC, I have no idea how to install that thing, the only simple thing is that to isntall manually every single folder at C:\ATI\Support\10-x_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Packages\Apps\CCC.
So the CCC will work, but by that, you CANT uninstall CCC if you need to.
ATI really mess the release this time...sigh

mrtrixy

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

I'm also having the same exact problem as above. Can anyone provide any insight?

leon2006

Distinguished
Below is the procedure for un-installing/Installing ATI drivers using the command prompt.... The procedure is based on 9.x version. Just change it to 10.x. This is what is use on my PC since i have Visual Studio 2008 on my system. This always work.

===========================================

Install/Un-install procedure for CCC @ command prompt environment:

Un-install ATI driver

@ Command prompt execute the following instructions

Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\Driver\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –uninstall”

This will remove the current or older ATI driver on your PC. Wait for the process to complete.

The Font will get big as the OS will revert to default VGA driver. This is expected or normal just as when installing windows for the 1st time.

Reboot your machine after the completion of the process
Install ATI driver

@ Command prompt execute the following instructions

Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista64_win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN64 for 64 bit OS
Go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9-REV_vista32_ win7_dd_ccc_wdm_emu\ Driver\BIN for 32 bit OS

Type the command “atisetup.exe –install – output screen”

This will install thew ATI driver on your PC. You will see DOTS on the command prompt terminal. Wait for the process to complete.

When done the ATI CCC installation log will come-up to detail the installation summary.

Reboot your machine

Configure your graphic settings when you log in.

Notes:

1) @ command prompt type ”ATIsetup.exe -?” it will give you the list options for the ATIsetup.exe installation program

2) 9-Rev is whatever revision of ATI driver you are using (i.e. 9-10).

3) Always un-install old driver before installing the new rev driver

Also remember, these are mobility drivers, I have a feeling they weren't even installing in the past and you didn't notice (did you truly check the internal driver version when completed) I found this out the hard way when installing updated drivers for an HDMI fix long time ago, and what it did was unpack the driver install elsewhere.

Do a search for ATI on your system and see if it created a new install folder, the drivers would unpack there and even if it didn't install using the installer, you should be able to manually install them directly from there, I had to do that a few time on older drivers, but it may be a different issue for you.

mrtrixy

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

Well I ran a program called DriverSweeper and that got rid of the files in this path

C:\ATI\Support\10-7_xp32_dd

However when I ran DriverSweeper just to confirm whether or not it removed all the ATI drivers, it still lists out a ton of files under the following paths:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2cqag.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2dvaa.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2dvag.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati3d1ag.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati3duag.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ativdaxx.ax
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ativmvxx.ax
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ativtmxx.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ativvaxx.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1btxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinbtxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1mdxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinmdxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1pdxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinpdxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1raxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinraxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1rvxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinrvxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1snxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinsnxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1ttxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinttxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1tuxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atintuxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1xbxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinxbxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati1xsxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atinxsxx.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati2mtaa.sys
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\ATI2SGAG.EXE-034D00DE.pf
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\ATIPRBXX.EXE-28AA41C0.pf
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\CCC.EXE-2F1AF7F1.pf
C:\WINDOWS\prefetch\CCCINSTALL.EXE-2D5C2490.pf

Should I manually delete these files? I need to entirely wipe out any trace of ATI drivers in hopes that it will allow me to reinstall them using ATI's latest 10.7 patch. The problem is that every time I attempt to install the drivers I run into the same problem as the original poster

options to install are: Catalyst Install Manager, a Lord of the Rings demo, and "Communication opt-in. It shows that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 is already installed. So unable to install the driver or CCC.

leon2006

Distinguished
Use driver sweeper to clean out old driver files. Then you don't need to worry much.

Then run the install on the next driver (i.e. 10.7). I expect you to get an error similar to what you are getting. The ATI installation program will have created the folder C:\ATI\Support\10.7....etc

When you see this folder then follow the installation procedure using the command prompt.