Sign in with
Your question

New ~$800 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2010 8:23:20 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP (within a few days)

BUDGET RANGE: $800 maximum, but cheaper is of course better

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: School work, internet browsing, etc., programming, gaming, watching movies.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mouse, monitor, DVD drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: No real brand loyalty here. I'm looking to maximize performance/price ratio at this budget level.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe a bit; I've never done it before but I've always considered it.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: My old computer got fried the other night in a thunder storm, so I figured now is a good time to buy a new rig.

After a bit of research, I've come up with this build.

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM

GIGABYTE GV-N460OC-1GI GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ...

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

ASUS P7P55D LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Total price: $836.

This is a little overbudget, though not prohibitively so. Though I do want to add in a set of 5.1 speakers (my old ones also got fried in the storm), which would bring it up to $900 I suppose.

I'm open to modify any of the above parts; the ones I'm the most unsure about are the processor (is AMD better at this price range?), motherboard, and RAM. Also, for the power supply, OCZ has a StealthXStream for the exact same price, which leads me to believe this modular one is somehow inferior.

And don't worry, I've already invested in a much better surge protector.

Thanks very much for any advice.

More about : 800 gaming build

August 12, 2010 9:10:00 PM

swap RAM to a G Skill Eco kit. $103 same specs at lower v.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That mobo is not SLI capable.

For pure gaming you can go with a Phenom II x4 955 and GA 790 UD4 and see no performance difference. However, if you switch to ATI, means no SLI support.

Only way around is 3rd party chipset, which work, but do not have AMD support either.

If you don't care about about SLI, then grabbing the Phenom II x4 955 and a GA 770 USB3 will save you a buncha money, with no gaming difference.
m
l
August 12, 2010 10:02:12 PM

Ah thank you.

I may be interested in SLI in the future when my computer could be recharged by popping another $100 video card in there... but I haven't found then need to do this in the past, and don't think I can justify spending $100 for the opportunity. I think I'll change to the AMD.

You mention no gaming performance difference; is there a significant difference in other typical uses? I won't be editing video, rendering intricate 3D models, etc.
m
l
!