Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Looking to upgrade from a Geforce 7300 LE

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2010 4:57:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a new video card, but I don't know if my CPU will just bottleneck anything I try, here are my specs:

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz
2 Gigs DDR2 Memory with two empty slots available
Intel chipset i945P
Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE (as already stated)
400 W Corsair PSU

I haven't bought a computer since the dual cores etc. came out, so I don't really know how my CPU stands up against these.

I have a few goals with the upgrade. I want to get a card that has HDMI out so I can use it to play 1080HD on my plasma screen with no problems, will probably be using Windows Media Center, Hulu, and Netflix streaming. I would also like it if I could play Starcraft II at a reasonable resolution. Finally, my budget is around $100 USD, with a little leeway. I would like this upgrade to last a few years until I can build a new computer.

So, with my specs is an upgrade that can accomplish these goals possible? I have looked at the "best bang for the buck" article for July, and I was thinking about the Radeon HD 4850, will this be able to run on my 400W PSU and improve my performance despite my older CPU? Thanks a lot!

More about : upgrade geforce 7300

a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:09:29 PM

butac said:
Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a new video card, but I don't know if my CPU will just bottleneck anything I try, here are my specs:

Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz
2 Gigs DDR2 Memory with two empty slots available
Intel chipset i945P
Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE (as already stated)
400 W Corsair PSU

I haven't bought a computer since the dual cores etc. came out, so I don't really know how my CPU stands up against these.

I have a few goals with the upgrade. I want to get a card that has HDMI out so I can use it to play 1080HD on my plasma screen with no problems, will probably be using Windows Media Center, Hulu, and Netflix streaming. I would also like it if I could play Starcraft II at a reasonable resolution. Finally, my budget is around $100 USD, with a little leeway. I would like this upgrade to last a few years until I can build a new computer.

So, with my specs is an upgrade that can accomplish these goals possible? I have looked at the "best bang for the buck" article for July, and I was thinking about the Radeon HD 4850, will this be able to run on my 400W PSU and improve my performance despite my older CPU? Thanks a lot!

sup man, if i was you, i would change the cpu to a dual core, and you would not have bottleneck, then i would reccomend the 9800 gtx+, that would perfectly for your needs.

here are some links,

9800 gtx+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

dual core CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Pentium-2-6GHz-Desktop-Proc...

with those 2 things your system would be really fast and you would not have bottleneck and i think everything is in your budget limit
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:37:06 PM

the hd 4670 is too slow, i would preffer that he upgrades the processor too and to that video card, he would not have to upgrade in a good time with his needs, he will not regret to upgrade his CPU to a dual core, his system would be a lot faster
Score
July 7, 2010 9:38:24 PM

Thanks for the replies as well as the links. So I don't know if anyone else noticed...but I realized after my original post that my CPU is a dual core, whoops. Kind of embarrassing. Sorry. Does this change your responses?

The 9800GTX looks like it requires at least a 450W Power supply, so I am a little short there with my 400W PSU.
Score
a c 1363 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:39:20 PM

megagabobe1 said:
the hd 4670 is too slow, i would preffer that he upgrades the processor too and to that video card, he would not have to upgrade in a good time with his needs, he will not regret to upgrade his CPU to a dual core, his system would be a lot faster

Dual Core? http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/pentiumd-8...
Score
a c 1363 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:43:29 PM

butac said:
Thanks for the replies as well as the links. So I don't know if anyone else noticed...but I realized after my original post that my CPU is a dual core, whoops. Kind of embarrassing. Sorry. Does this change your responses?

The 9800GTX looks like it requires at least a 450W Power supply, so I am a little short there with my 400W PSU.

If you can overclock your CPU a little you will be fine with GTS250 or 9800GTX+ even HD4850 on that corsair PSU it is stronger than many generic 450watt units that the specs reefer to. The low D8xx series were good overclockers.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:44:50 PM

yeah, buts that a bit old processor, and ive seen reviews that say that the e5300 is perfect for everything and is very fast, even tiger direct mention it on a build and with that you can play crysis with no problems
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 9:46:29 PM

but that psu is corsair man, i would have not reccomended that id u didnt had a high quality psu
Score
July 7, 2010 9:59:48 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I have never tried CPU overclocking before, do you have a good link that can teach me the ropes for overclocking my D8xx? I think I want to get the 9800GTX or the HD4850 if I can get that overclocking to work.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 10:04:37 PM

you could use a program from windows called setfsb, since it does not changes the voltages it willl not cause any harm to ur cpu if uy get too far
Score
a c 1363 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 10:05:24 PM

megagabobe1 said:
yeah, buts that a bit old processor, and ive seen reviews that say that the e5300 is perfect for everything and is very fast, even tiger direct mention it on a build and with that you can play crysis with no problems

Upgrading from Pentium D might involve upgrading motherboard as well.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 10:06:09 PM

just look for guides on how to use the program, it will be much easier than overclocking from the bios
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 10:09:26 PM

what mobo do you have???
Score
July 8, 2010 2:22:27 AM

I have a dell stock motherboard, model 0F030, with a i945P chipset.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 3:29:58 AM

i want the motherboard name
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 4:17:43 AM

i think u should just overclock ur processor with setfsb, and get the gts 250, the 9800 gtx+, the 9800 gtx, and if u want to spend as little as posiible, just get the 9800 gt, i have one right now, and can play my games with decent frames and decent settings at 1680x1050
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 4:18:49 AM

just look for tutorials on google on how to use setfsb and you will be fine
Score
July 8, 2010 6:01:28 AM

Thanks guys, I think this is a good plan. I will let you know how it goes.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 2:53:09 PM

butac said:
Thanks guys, I think this is a good plan. I will let you know how it goes.

No problem man :D 
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 8:32:06 PM

butac said:
What do you think about this card?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The price is right and it has the HDMI port that I want.

that card is pretty good actually, i have one right now and i can play crysis at high settings at 20 fps min, 30 fps avg and like 40 fps max, at 1680x1050 resolution, in like one week my hd 5850 will come to replace that one =), hehe, i think it will be alright for your needs if you dont want to play really demanding games of course.
Score
July 15, 2010 11:57:54 PM

Best answer selected by butac.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 12:44:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!