Media Net 500KB question

Hello,

I see i can get media net for $4.99 a month which include 500KB. Does
anyone know how many bytes a normal picture and 1 or 2 sentence text
message would be? Im trying to determine how many pictures and text
messages i would be able to send on average with that plan.

thanks.

<scott.siegler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I see i can get media net for $4.99 a month which include 500KB. Does
> anyone know how many bytes a normal picture and 1 or 2 sentence text
> message would be? Im trying to determine how many pictures and text
> messages i would be able to send on average with that plan.

As far as my understanding goes, sending text messages and multimedia
messages (ie send a picture as a message) are billed on a pay-per-use basis,
which means that you'll get charged 10c for each text message and 25c for
each MMS.
However, if you were to send pictures as email, then the data transfer would
count from your Media Net total of kilobytes. In my case (Motorola V400), a
picture is no larger than ~34KB, and smaller (down to ~8KB) if you zoom in
(native resolution of the camera is 640x480, and if you zoom in it actually
only crops the larger image blowing up the central portion). Of course it is
also possible, in some cases, to send emails through CSD as opposed to
GSM/GPRS, which would then cost you minutes as opposed to data usage.
However, you probably have to get provisioned to get that functionality, and
it is slower than GPRS.
The Media Basic plan might be a better option if you plan on sending more
than, say, 50 text messages and 20 MMS messages a month.

Hope this helps and is not terribly factually incorrect.
Also, refer to this page:
https://www.cingular.com/media/media_net_purchase

Edoardo wrote:
> Of course it is
> also possible, in some cases, to send emails through CSD as opposed
> GSM/GPRS, which would then cost you minutes as opposed to data usage.

> However, you probably have to get provisioned to get that
functionality, and
> it is slower than GPRS.
> The Media Basic plan might be a better option if you plan on sending
more
> than, say, 50 text messages and 20 MMS messages a month.

This is what I came here looking for. When I was with Suncom, there
was an email address that sent me text messages. I was wondering if
Cingular had something similar.

Thomas

MERLIN

In my case, and I supspect it's true of any sms capable phone, it's:

xxxyyyzzz@mobile.mycingular.com

If you don't subscribe to a package of data or text minutes, it's 10
cents per message delivered, 160 characters max /message, including
from, to, subject, and sigs. So if someone sends you a 2 sentence
message from their client, it may be split in to two or three messages
on the phone, and you'd get charged for those. You should tell folks
likely to send you short messages with no signature, if possible.

There's also a link somewhere on the cingular web page, if they know
your mobile number they can use a form to send you a message.