Quick OS Legalitiy question

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hey guys, Merry Xmas (im a little late, o well)

Now to get down to business, i've been trying to sell my homebuilt computer on ebay without an OS (i have been useing win 7 beta) and it hasn't been selling. So i'm gonna throw a new OS on it and see if it helps selling it, heres the problem. I have a HP touchsmart TX2 that died because i spilled vodka on it one night and fried the whole computer, sent it in and they told me thats whats wrong. (i didnt know thats what happened when i sent it in) So can i use the VISTA 64bit CD key and install Vista 64 on my computer im trying to sell? If so how do i go about doing that? Torrent the vista ISO and use that CD key? Call microsoft and have them send me a CD?

Also, can i use that cd key to upgrade to win 7? or do i need a receipt?

Thanks alot guys!

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
I'm guessing your talking about the OS that came with the HP touchsmart? In that case that's an OEM disk and no you can't license that OS with any other hardware.

Lots of questions come up in my mind with this post

1. Why are you trying to sell your computer on ebay?
2. What are the specs of said computer?
3. Why don't you just put linux on it?
4. Why not just leave Win7 RC on it?
5. You don't have the Vista DVD for the OS for the HP touchsmart? Why?
6. The disk is probably an HP restore disk anyway... (not a question I know).
7. And you would know if you could upgrade to windows 7 using your Vista key if you had a coupon or rebate thing or something like that, that came with your laptop, we won't be able to answer that question for you.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone!

Boonality the answers to your questions.

1. I need money for college
2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170423718778&ssPageName=STRK:MEUSX:IT
(hope that works for you)
3. I dont know much about linux and its not that great of a selling point for the average ebay person.
4. I wanted to wipe the HDD so all personal information is off of it and i guess i can put it back on it.
5. Touchsmarts dont come with DVD's they just have a partition with the software on it.
6. Doesn't come with any disks, you have to make your own restore disks now.
7. I don't know anything about upgrading to Win 7, thats why i asked.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
I can tell you just by looking at your ebay auction that your asking price is way too high, you can build it new for that. Also your shipping is double of what it should be.

but ultimately I think it's because I (also most people) would never buy a used computer online, too big of a liability.

And just FYI, posting your email address and phone number openly means you are going to get SPAMMED like a mother F*er. And you increase the risk of your identity being stolen a little bit too.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
the asking price is way too high.

halve it, and it might sell.

it doesnt matter how little you say you've used it, people dont want to buy used perosnal computers unless they save a significant sum. you could easily have OCd this thing within an inch of its life (the watercooling tells them you may well have done) and it could break down within a month.

magruder13

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

I haven't gotten any spam, and that cell is a prepaid phone so cant really do much wt that, noone has called either.

As soon as you personally use a computer, total up the price you paid for the parts, cut it 50%-60%, and that's your asking price.

The only time you'll make a profit on a machine is if you literally put it together, install an OS, and then right away put it in eBay/Craigslist.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

When selling a complete PC, almost nobody cares about the case, for instance if you were building a PC with the sole intention to resell it then you would only buy something like a $50 case. Anyone who knows enough about cases will probably build their own PC.