AMD Phenom 965 BE Idle @ 42oC

Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2010 11:03:31 AM

Hey guys,

I recently built a new system;
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Gigabyte ga-880gma-udh2
G Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
(2048MB x 2 / CL8-8-8-24 / 1.5V / DDR3 1333)

My idle temp for cpu in smart mode is around 38-42oC and im pretty sure thats too high!
Prime95 takes it to 60oC in 1 minute at which the alarm sounds and I end the test.
Its definately not case temp, thats about 26-28oC, and i have even taken the case off but does not affect the cpu temp.

Today i disabled smart mode so that fan is on 100% constantly and am happy it now idles @ 32oC.
Prime95 now runs for around 3 minutes before the 60oC alarm.

My mobo has lots of overclocking settings and the cpu is quite overclockable ive heard, but im not really interested in doing that yet until i understand it properly, but anyhow, the mobo settings are on auto, should it be? Or do i have to manually change these settings?

Or maybe i just need a better stock fan and heatsink, although tho one i got with it looks like it can handle itself.

Can anyone think of what it could be?

Thanks for reading in advance
a c 117 à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 23, 2010 12:10:28 PM

shnabz said:
My mobo has lots of overclocking settings and the cpu is quite overclockable ive heard, but im not really interested in doing that yet until i understand it properly, but anyhow, the mobo settings are on auto, should it be? Or do i have to manually change these settings?

Or maybe i just need a better stock fan and heatsink

A nice HSF will always help (if properly installed).

I've seen Gigabyte motherboards over-volt on *Auto* so you may wish to manually set the vCore to something in the 1.325v range.

Overall, you are looking at 0.850-1.425v range within spec. You could also tweak with a little under-volting if you are so inclined (stable operation may be found with as much as a -0.125v under-volt, with the end result being a drop of as much as 35% in power consumption at full load).
m
l
!