Sign in with
Your question

SSD on sata 2 MOBO?

Last response: in Storage
November 9, 2012 5:44:17 PM

Hello,

I have a dilemma: I can get SSD drive very cheap, because it's on sale for a few days, but my mobo only has SATA 2 slot for HDD. Is it worth it to buy the sata3 SSD, and how much performance can I use out of it?

Should I get an SSD now, and later the new MOBO CPU, or should I save up for a better MOBO CPU, and after that get an SSD?

Thanks!

My PC:
MOBO: MSI G41M-P28 (Sata 2, PCI-e 2, socket 775)
CPU: Intel core 2 quad Q6600 @3.00Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia gtx 670 OC
RAM: 2x4GB Patriot ddr3 @ 1333
PSU: Seasonic 650W

More about : ssd sata mobo

November 9, 2012 5:49:32 PM

I would say get the SSD now. You will enjoy the benefits immediately as opposed to saving for a Mobo/CPU. You would probably end up getting an SSD down the line anyway so I say party now and save later :) 
November 9, 2012 5:53:56 PM

teknicom said:
I would say get the SSD now. You will enjoy the benefits immediately as opposed to saving for a Mobo/CPU. You would probably end up getting an SSD down the line anyway so I say party now and save later :) 

That was exactly my question: SSD can have 500+mb/s read/write rate, but how much percent of that can I really use with sata 2 connector?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 5:57:55 PM

donsrbin said:
That was exactly my question: SSD can have 500+mb/s read/write rate, but how much percent of that can I really use with sata 2 connector?

The SSD will rarely achieve within even 140mb/sec of that, and that is simply during a sequential write on a fresh out of the box drive.

Using the SSD on a SATA 2 port will make no real world noticeable difference in terms of program responsiveness, and boot time.
November 9, 2012 5:59:47 PM

azathoth said:
The SSD will rarely achieve within even 140mb/sec of that, and that is simply during a sequential write on a fresh out of the box drive.

Using the SSD on a SATA 2 port will make no real world noticeable difference in terms of program responsiveness, and boot time.

well my current HDD can do around 100mb/sec. If SSD can do 140, then it's not worth it. But in the specs it says ssd can do 500. How can they lie like that? :o 
November 9, 2012 6:03:05 PM

donsrbin said:
well my current HDD can do around 100mb/sec. If SSD can do 140, then it's not worth it. But in the specs it says ssd can do 500. How can they lie like that? :o 

The advantages of an SSD can't be quantified only by sequential read and write (although they are a factor). The main upgrade is in access times. Your boot time, even with SATA 2, will drop a LOT! Your program load times Will decrease to almost imperceptible levels.
November 9, 2012 6:04:31 PM

jacobdrj said:
The advantages of an SSD can't be quantified only by sequential read and write (although they are a factor). The main upgrade is in access times. Your boot time, even with SATA 2, will drop a LOT! Your program load times Will decrease to almost imperceptible levels.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well you learn something new every day.

So, should I get an SSD even though I have SATA 2 MOBO or should I first get a new mobo, and then get the SSD?
a b à CPUs
a b G Storage
November 9, 2012 6:10:26 PM

donsrbin said:

*facepalm*
The SSD is advertised as 500/500 maximum speeds, this is under a fresh drive in perfect circumstances.
In real world benchmarks, you will only see around 350 read 180 write tops.
November 9, 2012 6:11:44 PM

azathoth said:
*facepalm*
The SSD is advertised as 500/500 maximum speeds, this is under a fresh drive in perfect circumstances.
In real world benchmarks, you will only see around 350 read 180 write tops.

well sorry, I didn't know...
a b à CPUs
November 9, 2012 6:16:52 PM

Get the SSD now, you wont regret it.
November 9, 2012 6:17:00 PM

horaciopz said:
Get the SSD now, you wont regret it.

OK, thanks for your opinion.
!