Sign in with
Your question

Computer rebooting - like plug being pulled - Voltages on PSU?

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2010 3:31:25 PM

Hello all,

I was hoping someone could help me. I finished building a system about 2 months ago and until yesterday has been stable and reliable.

Sometimes it will reboot several times before the BIOS even displays, sometime it will let me boot into windows but will either crash after a few minuets (run Prime95 or just leave it alone w/ zero load) the screen will either distort and the system will restart as if the plug had been yanked out of the wall or it will show a BSOD with error code 124. It has become completely unstab.le

System i7 930 (OC to 3.8Ghz, since instability has dropped back to stock 2.8 Ghz with stock voltages), 6 GB (3X2GB) G.Skill 1333, Gigabtye X58A-UD3R, Saphire Radeon 5850 (stock), 1TB* 2 WesternDigital Black Caviar, PSU - OCZ GXS850 - 850 Watt, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I ran HWMonitor and got the below voltages

Hardware monitor ITE IT87
Voltage 0 0.93 Volts [0x3A] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage 1 1.52 Volts [0x5F] (VIN1)
Voltage 2 3.36 Volts [0xD2] (+3.3V)
Voltage 3 5.05 Volts [0xBC] (+5V)
+ 12 V shows +3.14 with a max min of 0.7 to 3.14 ...this voltage didn't get dumped into the log but I can see it on the screen dispaly
Voltage 5 -12.16 Volts [0xBE] (-12V)

Voltage 6 -0.96 Volts [0xF] (-5V)
Voltage 7 3.63 Volts [0x87] (+5V VCCH)
Voltage 8 3.23 Volts [0xCA] (VBAT)
Temperature 0 40°C (103°F) [0x28] (TMPIN0)
Temperature 1 32°C (89°F) [0x20] (TMPIN1)
Temperature 2 44°C (111°F) [0x2C] (TMPIN2)

To be fair I have no idea what the voltages should read. Is something wrong with the PSU?

I have already opened up my system and examined all the connections to the MB, taken all OC settings off, pulled RAM and reseated.

At a loss please help?!
October 23, 2010 5:19:13 PM

Hi Rolli,

I have already tried all the recommendations short of re-installing Win7. I am going to try and run the system in Linux this afternoon.

Do the voltages from HWMonitor seem alright?
m
l
Related resources
a c 272 ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 5:27:32 PM

HW Monitor is not a good way to be checking voltages, the chips on the board that monitor them are not standardized with good documentation so HW monitor just sort of guesses as to what rail is what. Check the voltages in BIOS or with a digital multimeter.
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
October 23, 2010 5:35:07 PM

^+1 There is no way the computer would run with 3.14volts on the +12 volts.
One of the solutions I saw on your hardware problem was upping the v-core on a overclocked CPU.
m
l
October 23, 2010 5:42:55 PM

Hi,

the processor is currently not overclocked. I dropped everything back to baseline when these problems started.

I just tried it under Linux and its crapped out after 5 minutes, screen just went garbled and then BAM as if the power plug was pulled.

The computer then went off, re-started for about 3-4 seconds, turned off again, re-started for about 3-4 seconds, turned off again, re-started for about 3-4 seconds....about 6 of these cycles before the system caught its stride and started up "normally"...so problem is present in Win7 and Ubuntu linux...seriously at a loss and problem also presents before the OS's load sometimes as well...PSU or mother board? I have pulled the RAM, pulled the video card, triple checked all the connections...Arrggghh!! So frustrated...but thanks for all your help so far.
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:11:35 PM

Anymore ideas as to what I should try next?
m
l
October 24, 2010 2:37:02 PM

Power failure is most likely directly connected to the PSU. Your term of "like the power plug being pulled" is a common term for power outage. Try using a test PSU, should you have one.

I don't think it's the OS (software), it's most likely hardware issue.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2010 8:26:08 PM

What is the model and brand of the PSU?
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:18:54 AM

PSU is OCZ GameXstream 850 watt
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:28:36 AM

areyouready81 said:
PSU is OCZ GameXstream 850 watt

With that kind of PSU, the chances of faulty unit is pretty slim. Although it's still very much possible.

Since it's a power issue, you might wanna check and re-check the power connection. What's the power setup from the outlet to your PC? Any surge protector, power cable extender, or other power adapters/connectors?

Also check the cabling inside your case. Any distinct cable color (burn mark) or loose connection?
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:47:59 AM

damasvara said:
With that kind of PSU, the chances of faulty unit is pretty slim. Although it's still very much possible.

Since it's a power issue, you might wanna check and re-check the power connection. What's the power setup from the outlet to your PC? Any surge protector, power cable extender, or other power adapters/connectors?

Also check the cabling inside your case. Any distinct cable color (burn mark) or loose connection?

I have tested the system with it being pluged into a surge powerbar, and directly into the wall outlet. I have even changed the power cord.

I am tearing down the electrical tomorrow and will let you know if I find anything.
m
l
October 26, 2010 1:44:01 AM

Disassembled all the electical connections, no change. I am at my wits ends.

I don't know what else to try.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2010 2:08:45 AM

id say the most likely cause is a faulty psu (yes it can happen to the best brands) but could also be the motherboard.
m
l
!