No Internet Connectivity in XP

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have a machine here that a new hard drive was put in and and thus a re-install of Windows XP. It always connected to the Internet no problem (cable Internet).

Now upon reinstalling Windows, it won't connect. I tried using the default network driver that Windows installed, then I used the latest from VIA. It still won't connect to the Internet. It will give me only a LAN connection.

I also upgraded to SP3 and still the same issue, either with no services packs or with SP3.

It just keeps giving me an APIPA every time.

The network card is a VIA 6103L phy.

I've reset the cable modem and restarted the computer a couple times to no avail.

Any suggestions?

G

If you haven't already you might try this:

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Thanks. I've done so.

I also went ahead and assigned everything static addresses based on what my ISP assigns. It still wouldn't connect.

I've tried 3 different network drivers now as well, still no luck.

I can get a LAN connection as mentioned and I can PING the local host no problem. I've reset the DNS and DHCP services as well.

The driver that might have been used before (this isn't my computer) might not exist anywhere anymore and I may be SOL, if that is indeed the issue. Although, I can't see a NIC being so picky, as to not want to use the latest driver. Usually, I find the older driver is the reason for a problem like this.

Any other ideas?