How to replace a system file without XP interfering ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

A friend has a computer with Windows XP Pro.
We suspect that one of the system files/drivers might have gotten
replaced by a new (and corrupted) copy either during one of the
updates or because of some malware.
We have an old backup copy of the driver and we tried
to copy it back in, but apparently XP has some scheme where it
doesn't allow anything it considers a system file to be altered or
replaced, and any attempt will be blocked (and the existing file
will stay in place).

Is there any way to override this mechanism ?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Have you tried to use "Roll back driver"?
It's under Device manager -> Properties of the device -> Driver

"wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>A friend has a computer with Windows XP Pro.
>We suspect that one of the system files/drivers might have gotten
>replaced by a new (and corrupted) copy either during one of the
>updates or because of some malware.
>We have an old backup copy of the driver and we tried
>to copy it back in, but apparently XP has some scheme where it
>doesn't allow anything it considers a system file to be altered or
>replaced, and any attempt will be blocked (and the existing file
>will stay in place).
>
>Is there any way to override this mechanism ?

Replace the file with the same name in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE at
first.

--
(tm)

Byte

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

DLLCACHE? There is no such directory under System32 unless you create one.

--
Today is the first day of the rest of
your life.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >A friend has a computer with Windows XP Pro.
> >We suspect that one of the system files/drivers might have gotten
> >replaced by a new (and corrupted) copy either during one of the
> >updates or because of some malware.
> >We have an old backup copy of the driver and we tried
> >to copy it back in, but apparently XP has some scheme where it
> >doesn't allow anything it considers a system file to be altered or
> >replaced, and any attempt will be blocked (and the existing file
> >will stay in place).
> >
> >Is there any way to override this mechanism ?
>
> Replace the file with the same name in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE at
> first.
>
> --
> (tm)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
continuum as "=?Utf-8?B?Qnl0ZQ==?=" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com>
revealed in news:C8A80358-C381-46C9-9852-E3E3E159E3A4@microsoft.com:

> DLLCACHE? There is no such directory under System32 unless you create
> one.

I didn't create one, but still I have it. Possibly created as a consequence
of activating/tweaking some setting? Suspect you may have system
files/folders settings configured as hidden from user's/your view

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com

Byte wrote:
> DLLCACHE? There is no such directory under System32 unless you create one.

Wrong.

Go ahead, google me with proof...

(Was this posted to enough groups?)

Byte wrote:

> DLLCACHE? There is no such directory under System32 unless
> you create one.
Hi,

Yes, there is, but the folder is hidden.

From Start/Run, type in the following command:

%windir%\system32\dllcache

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Wylbur,

Try using System Restore first.
All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Bert Kinney wrote:
> Try using System Restore first.
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>
> wylbur37 wrote:
> > A friend has a computer with Windows XP Pro.
> > We suspect that one of the system files/drivers might
> > have gotten replaced by a new (and corrupted) copy either
> > during one of the updates or because of some malware.
> > We have an old backup copy of the driver and we tried
> > to copy it back in, but apparently XP has some scheme
> > where it doesn't allow anything it considers a system
> > file to be altered or replaced, and any attempt will be
> > blocked (and the existing file will stay in place).
> >
> > Is there any way to override this mechanism ?

Wouldn't System Restore have the effect of uninstalling every single
application that had been installed since the restore-point?
(Of course, sometimes this is exactly what's desired,
but other times not).

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

uninstall is an exaggeration, It uninstalls it a fraction, perhaps
making it unusable. Apps can be reinstalled easily without problem. So
sys restore is a good option.

but the other options mentioned should be tried first.

To reinstall a driver don't replace files manually. There is an option
to reinstall a driver in win xp.

If u had to replace a file manually and found that winxp 'wont let you'
i.e. it buts in and replaces it with a file of the same name in
c:\windows\system32\dllcache, then replace the one in dllcache.

also, it masy make a diff if you unhide the file you want to override,
take off the read only attribute

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

< Cross posting reduced >

Yes, system restore will remove all monitored files installed or
changed after the date of restore. As long as you have the software,
just reinstall it. If you don't have the software it would be best to
uninstall it before doing the restore.

If you knew for a fact it was a driver issue you could use the steps
in these articles.

How To Use the Roll Back Driver Feature in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283657

HOW TO: Use the Driver Roll Back Feature to Restore a Previous Version
of a Device Driver in WinXP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306546

System Restore will cover both file and driver issues.

--

wylbur37 wrote:
> Bert Kinney wrote:
>
>>Try using System Restore first.
>>All About System Restore in WinXP
>>http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html
>>
>>wylbur37 wrote:
>>
>>>A friend has a computer with Windows XP Pro.
>>>We suspect that one of the system files/drivers might
>>>have gotten replaced by a new (and corrupted) copy either
>>>during one of the updates or because of some malware.
>>>We have an old backup copy of the driver and we tried
>>>to copy it back in, but apparently XP has some scheme
>>>where it doesn't allow anything it considers a system
>>>file to be altered or replaced, and any attempt will be
>>>blocked (and the existing file will stay in place).
>>>
>>>Is there any way to override this mechanism ?
>

> Wouldn't System Restore have the effect of uninstalling every single
> application that had been installed since the restore-point?
> (Of course, sometimes this is exactly what's desired,
> but other times not).

Hold everything. [And trim the groups on your post]

Sure it's a OS file?
MS is waiting for your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

MORE INFORMATION
System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all
protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker
discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the
correct version of the file from the cache folder
(%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source
files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File Checker also
checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an
administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System
File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can
use the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands
to repair its contents.

Executable type files become part of the swap file. Windows expects to find
the file and the code in the file. However it can be renamed. If your
computer can boot without this driver then just rename the current one,
reboot. On boot windows won't find the driver it's looking for and you can
copy the old one over.