Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2010 10:41:31 PM

Phenom II x4 955 (+ stock HSF)
4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw RAM
EVGA GTX 460 1 GB
MSI 870 MOBO
OCZ Fatal1ty 550w PSU
Raidmax Enzo case

Okay, the first time I tried to power my computer, everything appeared to be working and the computer started. I got a splash screen for the mobo, but then it did not POST... there was simply a black screen with a blinking grey underscore at the top. Pressing del did not enter the BIOS. I tried powering the PC off and turning it back on, and the same thing happened. I noticed one of the fans wasn't spinning, so I powered it off again and hooked it to a different connector.

Now, the computer will not boot at all, even if I disconnect all fans. I press the switch and nothing happens. There is no mobo speaker. Where should I go from here?

More about : build startup

August 12, 2010 10:51:45 PM

Yes, the CPU fan was spinning - it was simply one of the case fans not spinning. And I have gone through that list.
Related resources
August 12, 2010 11:03:51 PM

You actually tried all the steps? Booted with one stick of RAM? Breadboarded?

Reseating the GPU and RAM?
August 12, 2010 11:08:16 PM

I did everything except breadboarding... I'm a little uneasy about doing that one but I'll try it.
August 12, 2010 11:58:18 PM

I did try using a known good PSU in this build and I got the same results. Does that help narrow anything down? I called MSI and they suggested it was a fried motherboard.
August 13, 2010 12:23:15 AM

Well, it sounds like something shorted out certainly. I was worried with the Raidmax case that something was making contact that should not have done so, causing the short.

Hence the Breadboarding. If it was the GPU you would still have power/fans.

Oh... sorry flu today... what about your SWITCH? Cheap case means cheap switches. Did your case switch fail?
August 13, 2010 12:32:51 AM

My first effort, would be to remove the motherboard, and place it on a piece of cardboard next to the case. Connect the CPU/HSF, PSU, power switch, and 1 RAM chip. See if you get any signs of life with those. If yes, connect the video card.
August 13, 2010 12:41:00 AM

Nice guide aford, gonna link it in my troubleshooting guide :) 
August 13, 2010 1:01:56 AM

Just for your future knowledge, you passed the POST when you saw the splash screen. Everything passed that is the BIOS starting up. Any video = POST passed.

Am I missing something or did you just not post your hard drive in the specs for your system. If you got to a blank screen past the BIOS splash screen w/ no HD that may be why all you got was a blinking cursor. Especially if the BIOS had never had a HD stored in its configuration.
August 13, 2010 1:24:48 AM

Thanks Proximon :) 
August 13, 2010 1:52:23 PM

Ok here's an update. I decided to test the PSU just to make sure by using a paperclip and hooking it to a case fan. It worked. I then attached only the 24-pin connector, the 4-pin CPU connector, and a stick of RAM, and tried to start it, and nothing happened.
August 13, 2010 1:53:09 PM

dassox said:
Just for your future knowledge, you passed the POST when you saw the splash screen. Everything passed that is the BIOS starting up. Any video = POST passed.

Am I missing something or did you just not post your hard drive in the specs for your system. If you got to a blank screen past the BIOS splash screen w/ no HD that may be why all you got was a blinking cursor. Especially if the BIOS had never had a HD stored in its configuration.

Sorry, noticed this after I posted... I do have a hard drive in there. The problem now is I'm not getting anything at all when I press the power button, not even a blank screen.
August 13, 2010 2:37:17 PM

You can get a motherboard speaker, or some MSI boards come with a diagnostic LED bracket that gives LED light codes. You may want to double check and see if either came with yours. If yes, run through this troubleshooting guide.
http://us.msi.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

Though, I suspect the motherboard may be damaged.
August 13, 2010 3:40:38 PM

aford, that is a nice guide.
August 13, 2010 3:55:30 PM

Thanks jsc! Hopefully it's helpful.
!