Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Let look at pc build a different way

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2010 10:50:17 PM

ok, i have been researching pc gaming builds. reading forums, watching vids, and asking questions. i even came up with a decent build myself. problem is, every day i see something else i want or read a bad review about a part i had chosen. so i decided to look at my first pc build a different way :)  i play warcraft, i plan to start some video editing, and i want to use photoshop to start designing my own cd/dvd covers and printing on cd's. im not into alot of the newest games (i dont like first-person shooters) i still remember asking my mom for an Atari 2600 for xmas...roflmao ...but my baby boy(13 years old) is into them. he's making the switch from console games to PC, so i want to make my system capable of playing games like cod4 and crysys even if not on highest settings for him. so with that said; if i have 1500 dollars...what is the best item for slot...ie best cpu, gpu, ram, cpu cooler...etc.. everybody has an opinion on what can work but what is best? i am in love with the Antec 1200...i like the lights, possiblity of 7 fans(dont care to mess with liquid cooling), and ability to add cool looking mods. ive seen some awesome Antec 1200 builds on youtube. so, if i pick the Antec 1200 as my case how can i build my system with a whats left, approx 1330 bucks using the best in slot mantra? and i am not including peripherals. monitor, keyboard, mouse i will get separate....so 1320 for parts alone...what should i buy?

More about : build

Best solution

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2010 12:13:18 AM

For gaming, start with the graphics card.
At a 1080P(1920 x 1080) resolution, it takes a card like a GTX460, GTX480 or 5850/5870 to run most games well.
Those are $220 to $500 parts. Go with something stronger or sli only if you have a 2560 x 1600 monitor.

For photoshop you want a quad processor and lots of ram.
AMDX4 or I5-750 $200 parts.

For ram, you want at least 6gb or 8gb of DDR3 ram, that is about $150-$200. Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings. You will get very little extra real performance.

Do not skimp on the psu. Get a 650w or 750w unit from XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, or Antec. That should be $90 to $130.

Get a cpu cooler. I like the large tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan. A good one should be <$50.

Do not spend extra on a enthusiast motherboard. They are best for extreme overclockers. Budget $150-$200. ASUS and Gigabyte are good.
I think 6gb sata will be a good option along with USB3.0.

A SATA DVD burner will be about $ 30. Samsung is good.

Get a large 1tb storage drive. <$100.

Plan on a SSD for the OS and apps, but wait a bit for the gen3 drives to appear this fall. They will be faster, larger, and cheapper. In the meantime, carve out a 80-160gb partition out of your 1tb drive and put the os and apps there.
Plan on cloning the partition to the SSD later.

I think you will have a bit left over out of your $1320 budget. Spend any extra on a better graphics card or a second duplicate monitor.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 13, 2010 3:57:41 AM

Well while the Antec 1200 is a good case it is huge as well and looking at your needs i would not think you need some fancy 3-4 way SLI/CF set up with monster GPUs like HD 5970 so unless u are dead set on it,have a read about Cooler Master 922, NZXT Hades, etc
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2010 2:26:25 PM

geofelt said:
For gaming, start with the graphics card.
At a 1080P(1920 x 1080) resolution, it takes a card like a GTX460, GTX480 or 5850/5870 to run most games well.
Those are $220 to $500 parts. Go with something stronger or sli only if you have a 2560 x 1600 monitor.

For photoshop you want a quad processor and lots of ram.
AMDX4 or I5-750 $200 parts.

For ram, you want at least 6gb or 8gb of DDR3 ram, that is about $150-$200. Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings. You will get very little extra real performance.

Do not skimp on the psu. Get a 650w or 750w unit from XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, PC P&C, or Antec. That should be $90 to $130.

Get a cpu cooler. I like the large tower type coolers with a slow turning 120mm fan. A good one should be <$50.

Do not spend extra on a enthusiast motherboard. They are best for extreme overclockers. Budget $150-$200. ASUS and Gigabyte are good.
I think 6gb sata will be a good option along with USB3.0.

A SATA DVD burner will be about $ 30. Samsung is good.

Get a large 1tb storage drive. <$100.

Plan on a SSD for the OS and apps, but wait a bit for the gen3 drives to appear this fall. They will be faster, larger, and cheapper. In the meantime, carve out a 80-160gb partition out of your 1tb drive and put the os and apps there.
Plan on cloning the partition to the SSD later.

I think you will have a bit left over out of your $1320 budget. Spend any extra on a better graphics card or a second duplicate monitor.

ok thanx for the detail
i have managed to design and i have a final question
let me show u what i have and then ask my question. im dead set on the antec 1200, so bear with me i just like it. lol

case - Antec1200
gpu - 5850 (not sure on brand yet)
cpu - core i5 750
o.s. - windows 7
cpu fan - zalman 9500 with blue led (i like the blue led's)
ram - g.skill ripjaws 8gigs (went with 8 for photoshop like u suggested)
hard drive - wd caviar black 1 ter
ssd - intel x25m
psu - corsair cmpsu 750 tx
mobo - asus p7p55 d

ok my question, i seemed to always go over my budget, lol, im 36 have a good job and this is my very first build. i can afford it, i may have to work a little more o.t. roflmao. if i am willing to wait another month to get additional funds, should i upgrade my board and cpu to i7 and p6 board, or should i stick with current build? my dilemma is whether in 3-4 years my system will be upgradable or will have to be replaced? thanx for ur time and advice
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2010 3:46:43 PM

Quote:
my dilemma is whether in 3-4 years my system will be upgradable or will have to be replaced?

A few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and mobos as shown by our very own forums here
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,25...
Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-...
m
l
August 14, 2010 6:41:22 PM

batuchka said:
Quote:
my dilemma is whether in 3-4 years my system will be upgradable or will have to be replaced?

A few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and mobos as shown by our very own forums here
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,25...
Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-...

wow dude,
i got a huge headache.
i dont pretend to understand everything in that article, but what i do understand is intel doesn't play fair.
in all of my research, i have found AMD fans extremely loyal. i kinda remember reading somewhere about AMD being a good choice becuz they will offer updates to their products and AMD would be a better choice of processor atm. i kinda dismissed it becuz almost everyone raves on the i5 750 as an awesome gaming cpu. do i need to factor the AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition and a corresponding mobo into my equasion? ive, been without a computer capable of playing my games at a high level for a couple of months.. im anxious to begin this build. but, i would hate to spend 2k on anything that i will have to replace in two years. the more i really start getting into my pc hobbies the more i miss my atari 2600...roflmao...life was much simpler 25 years ago..lol..ok last question, taking the build i have presented, what do i need to add to last 5 years.....if thats even possible?
m
l
August 14, 2010 7:04:14 PM

kdad92 said:
ok thanx for the detail
i have managed to design and i have a final question
let me show u what i have and then ask my question. im dead set on the antec 1200, so bear with me i just like it. lol

case - Antec1200
gpu - 5850 (not sure on brand yet)
cpu - core i5 750
o.s. - windows 7
cpu fan - zalman 9500 with blue led (i like the blue led's)
ram - g.skill ripjaws 8gigs (went with 8 for photoshop like u suggested)
hard drive - wd caviar black 1 ter
ssd - intel x25m
psu - corsair cmpsu 750 tx
mobo - asus p7p55 d

ok my question, i seemed to always go over my budget, lol, im 36 have a good job and this is my very first build. i can afford it, i may have to work a little more o.t. roflmao. if i am willing to wait another month to get additional funds, should i upgrade my board and cpu to i7 and p6 board, or should i stick with current build? my dilemma is whether in 3-4 years my system will be upgradable or will have to be replaced? thanx for ur time and advice

If you have a microcenter nearby, then they will sell a i7-930 to walk-ins for $199. A great deal. If that is not available to you, the i5-750 is almost as good. I would stick with the current build, it looks very good to me.

Only you can tell if your application needs will grow past the current pc's capabilities. The current 1156 and 1366 socket types will be superceeded next year. They, in turn will be superceeded again within your 3-4 years. Whatever comes next will not diminish the capabilities of your current build.
m
l
August 14, 2010 8:18:46 PM

geofelt said:
If you have a microcenter nearby, then they will sell a i7-930 to walk-ins for $199. A great deal. If that is not available to you, the i5-750 is almost as good. I would stick with the current build, it looks very good to me.

Only you can tell if your application needs will grow past the current pc's capabilities. The current 1156 and 1366 socket types will be superceeded next year. They, in turn will be superceeded again within your 3-4 years. Whatever comes next will not diminish the capabilities of your current build.

thanx, just checked microcenter website, u are so right i7 930 $199 out the door. i go with that. ill just find a decent x58 board and that will suit my needs just fine. if/when i have to upgrade, ill give my wife a kick-ass computer to play POGO on...rofl... :-)
m
l
August 14, 2010 8:48:28 PM

Two motherboard features that are of the "future Proof" nature are 6gb sata and usb3.0.
I expect we will see very high speed SSD's appear within the next year or two that can use 6gb sata.
For backup, a usb3.0 capable device will be very fast.
I do not like the higher priced "enthusiast" boards unless you are a record seeking overclocker.

Gigabyte , ASUS, and EVGA would be my first choices.
For example this X58 mobo from gigabyte:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The X58 chipset supporte triple channel ram. I think a 6gb kit(3 x 2gb) is a very good size. You can always add more later.
Here is a good corsair set at $135 after rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2010 3:01:46 AM

kdad92 said:
do i need to factor the AMD Phenom II 1090T Black Edition and a corresponding mobo into my equasion? ive, been without a computer capable of playing my games at a high level for a couple of months.. im anxious to begin this build. but, i would hate to spend 2k on anything that i will have to replace in two years. the more i really start getting into my pc hobbies the more i miss my atari 2600...roflmao...life was much simpler 25 years ago..lol..ok last question, taking the build i have presented, what do i need to add to last 5 years.....if thats even possible?

If PS/Vid editing is secondary just hit an 870/955BE else 1055T, aftermarket cooler and u set for a while :lol:  Stick to single GPU solutions and upgrade to the bigger better tech/GPU as per the requirements of games tommorrow
m
l
August 26, 2010 1:31:10 PM

Best answer selected by kdad92.
m
l
August 26, 2010 5:01:45 PM

A i5 750 is not going to be anywhere close to obsolete in 2 years. Maybe in 4 it will be getting there, but it overclocks very well and games usually put a lot more pressure on the gpu long before the cpu. The only thing that you should need to upgrade in 2-3 years is the gpu.
m
l
!