Sign in with
Your question

Ram problems/cas

Last response: in Memory
June 17, 2011 3:56:31 PM

Hi guys, I recently brought " DDR2 1X4GB Kingston Memory RAM 800MHz PC2-6400" , at first it was booting up and hanging after a couple of minutes, I thought hmm thats weird, it's for sure the right RAM ect, my BIOS was reading the ram, but I just cannot figure out what is wrong, after replacing it with old ram it works fine, so it's for sure a RAM issue, I noticed this earlier -

Size: 4GB
Memory Model: Standard
Memory Type: DDR2
Memory Type (ECC): Non-ECC
Memory Type (R/U): Unbuffered
Memory Speed: PC2-6400 (800)
Pins: 240 (DIMM)
CAS Latency: 9-9-9-24

- I went into BIOS, put things on manual ect, 1.8v, then i came across the CAS settings which i saw were on Auto, I put to manual and my max options are 6-6-6-15, can anyone explain this? I'm utterly stumped, how comes I cannot set it to 9-9-9-24, my best guess is that's the problem, but i'm not to sure what cas actually does, so if anyone can inform if this is the problem or not then that would be great, the Ram ran for a couple of hours last night, a couple of mins today, sometimes doesn't get past loading windows. Thanks again, Tony.

More about : ram problems cas

June 17, 2011 4:11:05 PM

anyone :-(?
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 4:53:33 PM

for latency, smaller numbers are "faster". :) 

Can you list your current system specs as well as the model numbers (or links) to of both your old and new RAM?
Related resources
June 17, 2011 5:03:11 PM

Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASRock G31M-GS.
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.80 05/20/2011

159.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
100.84 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

DTSoftBusCd00 [Optical drive]
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653F ATA Device [Optical drive]

ST3160215AS [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 9RA7AT1Y, rev 4.AAB, SMART Status: Healthy

Memory Modules c,d
159.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
100.84 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

DTSoftBusCd00 [Optical drive]
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653F ATA Device [Optical drive]

T Status: Healthy

2048 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB

Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE [Display adapter]
OEM 22W_LCD_TV [Monitor] (31.2"vis,)

Ram:

Old ram - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-JM800QLU-1G-Memory-DD... // Didn't buy from there but that is it - 2 sticks

New ram that would replace - http://www.applegate.co.uk/listings/stock/insight-uk/kv...

Thanks for the reply, Tony.
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 5:19:52 PM

What you just posted is with your "old" Transcend RAM installed, right?

Don't worry about the 9-9-9 timings. Your new RAM is supposed to run at 6-6-6-15 (I think 15 is right. Just do what your BIOS defaults to). The data rate should be 800 MHz. I think you have it set up right. Set all your BIOS RAM settings (even the voltage) to "default" or "auto". Try that and report back. :) 
June 17, 2011 5:43:40 PM

Still the same, hanging at POST / Windows loading / BIOS. :-(
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 5:51:46 PM

Ok. Next step is to check for a bad RAM stick or bad motherboard slot. Try your Transcend RAM in the either slot and see if you get this problem. If not, boot up with one stick of your new RAM at a time and see whether or not they all give you this problem.
June 17, 2011 5:59:29 PM

Oh sorry, Should have mentioned this before, Iv'e took these steps already, Iv'e used one at a time, swapped them round, tried different ram slots and it still does the same, all ram slots work fine, I just don't know how a new ram stick can be faulty already :( .
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 6:02:47 PM

Just to be clear: All the new sticks work individually? Or do they all give you the same error?

Sometimes you get a brand new bad stick. :(  It doesn't happen very often.
June 17, 2011 6:09:11 PM

Yup, all sticks work individually too, just the new stick I got is messed :-( ah that sucks.
June 17, 2011 6:10:58 PM

Thanks for all your help too, appreciated! :) 
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 6:19:08 PM

Wooooh. :)  Hang on. I think I misunderstood you.

You have 2x 1GB Transcend sticks and 1x 4GB Kingston?
June 17, 2011 6:25:25 PM

Yes i do :) , I also have a kingston 1gb stick but i wanted to keep to the same brand , the kingston stick also works :) .
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 6:33:07 PM

Gotcha. This is less weird now.

Those different sticks might never work with one another even if they are totally fine individually. They *should* but often they just don't. You have three different kinds of sticks (1GB Transcend, 1GB kingston, 4GB kingston). They probably just aren't compatible with one another.

If possible, you should always use RAM from the same "kit" (i.e. your Transcends). If you want 8 GB of RAM, your best bet is to get a kit 2x4GB sticks.
June 17, 2011 6:38:05 PM

I see, but the 4gb Kingston doesn't work alone either :-(, I'd happily use the 4gb stick alone over the transcends, this is why i'm so confused, I don't understand what's up with the 4gb stick, the other night it would work for 5 mins , crash , boot , crash, 5 mins crash , loading windows crash, then out of the blue it ran for around 3-4 hours then crashed again, it's totally confused me haha
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 6:44:11 PM

Your MOBO is Dual Channel so the RAM in both DIMM slots must be the same: Frequency, Size, CAS, Voltage, etc.
June 17, 2011 6:47:55 PM

Oh right, but I still can use a single ram stick can't i?
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 6:49:35 PM

I see.

If you purchased the 4GB stick, you can probably get your $$ back.

It sounds like the 4GB stick is probably faulty. You can confirm this by running a program called Memtest86+. You download this program and install it onto a some bootable media (like a jump drive or a floppy. DO NOT install it on your hard drive). Then, install the 4 GB stick alone, boot to the memtest media and run the program overnight. If the program gives you any errors, your RAM is bad.

If you are going to return it, running Memtest isn't really necessary.
June 17, 2011 6:53:25 PM

Yep, I think i'm going to get a refund/replacement, thanks alot for the help :-) !
a c 347 } Memory
June 17, 2011 7:34:37 PM

Yes, you can use 1 stick -- just no Dual Channel. However, I do not recommend that you mix-match RAM.

ASRock Specs:
- Dual Channel DDR2 memory technology
- 2 x DDR2 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR2 800/667 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 8GB*

Crucial Specs:
Supported RAM -> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=G31M-...
Memory Type: DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 4GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

The specs conflict one another regarding 4GB vs 2GB densities; the variance could be from the BIOS support -> http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=G31M-GS%20R... the newest version is 1.80 5/27/2011.

Frankly, I'm used to 1GB or 2GB max per DIMM and very rarely see DDR2 with 4GB per slot support.
June 17, 2011 7:41:36 PM

Hello guys, we have a update.. a very strange one.. I am using the 4b stick this very moment, I went in to bios, pretty much manually changed everything myself, and the ram just survived a 20 minute test, with 0 errors, I shall leave it on over night to do a full check, I am totally suprised here, it would normally crash within seconds / minutes, I cleared the cmos before doing my own bios settings too, another very strange thing, i open CPU - Z , it says the manufacture is Samsung, when it is a kingston stick? Do Samsung work with Kingston or something, this is new to me :o 

I'll also pop back in a couple of hours if it is still hanging in there and let you guys know.
June 17, 2011 7:43:31 PM

And also, thanks for the support jaquith, My bios is up to date, and yeah i agree with the 4gb a slot, but it states mine can do it so i guess i'll go with it haha.
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 8:00:34 PM

ant543 said:
Hello guys, we have a update.. a very strange one.. I am using the 4b stick this very moment, I went in to bios, pretty much manually changed everything myself, and the ram just survived a 20 minute test, with 0 errors, I shall leave it on over night to do a full check, I am totally suprised here, it would normally crash within seconds / minutes, I cleared the cmos before doing my own bios settings too, another very strange thing, i open CPU - Z , it says the manufacture is Samsung, when it is a kingston stick? Do Samsung work with Kingston or something, this is new to me :o 

I don't think Kingston is actually a manufacturer and Samsung is one of the biggest RAM manufacturers. CPUz is only telling you who the manufacturer is. It's not really surprising.

Clearing the CMOS might have been enough. But it might be a coincidence that your 4GB RAM is doing fine. Download that Memtest86+ program and run that overnight make sure. This is the most reliable way to test RAM.

Your motherboard almost definitely supports 4GB in a single slot. The Asrock website indicates that the max for your motherboard is 8GB total. There are only 2 slots. :)  If they don't support 4GB each then the website is inconsistent/incorrect.
June 17, 2011 9:36:56 PM

Hello guys, just ran a memtest, picked up 8 errors in the 3% and then crashed, so hmm yeah i think we know what it is now, thanks again for all your help!
a b } Memory
June 17, 2011 9:45:13 PM

Nice. For best results get a kit with 2 sticks in it. (2x 2GB or 2x 4GB).
June 23, 2011 3:14:13 PM

Hey guys, I recently got a replacement 4gb stick for the one which was faulty / hanging my computer, and guess what, it still does it!, does my motherboard just not agree with the 4gb kingston stick? I am 100% it is the right type of ram needed ect, iv'e never seen this happen before, and im pretty damn sure its not faulty, i did a memtest on it without errors. I'm just so confused, all other sticks work fine, so my ram slots are in working order too.
June 24, 2011 9:48:45 PM

Hi guys, recently purchased a different brand of 4gb ram, works fine, I either got very unlucky with 2 faulty sticks of 4gb ddr2 kingston ram orrrr it has compatibility problems with the asrock g31m-s :) 
a b } Memory
June 24, 2011 10:02:39 PM

Are the specs on the new RAM sticks the same as the kingston RAM that didn't work?

I'm glad you got your situation resolved! :)  Hopefully you are able to return the Kingston RAM.
June 26, 2011 1:06:39 PM

Yep :-) all specs are the same! :) 
a b } Memory
June 26, 2011 1:41:05 PM

Just a comment on the timings.

9-9-9-24 is a normal timing for DDR3. You are not using DDR3. You are using DDR2, which has VERY different timings (6-6-6-15 sounds believable for DDR2, or even smaller numbers).
a b } Memory
June 27, 2011 4:00:22 PM

^ Yeah, the timings info from his first post must have been wrong. I believe 6-6-6-24 is a common DDR2 timing (I typed it wrong) for the 800 MHz DDR2. You're right, though, a lot of DDR2 is CAS4.
!