Sign in with
Your question

HELP! My new system build quit working!!

Last response: in Systems
August 13, 2010 1:13:32 AM

Hi there,

My new build (running perfectly for about 1 week) quit working this morning. I used it last night without issue, powered it down and went to bed. This morning when I turned it back on, the computer powered up normally, except that I got a blue screen on my monitor and DVI NO INPUT, then the monitor went into standby. I checked all of the connections. The computer seems to functioning normally from a mechanical standpoint. The MOBO is lit up normally. All fans are still running. The hard drive is spinning and loading data. The ethernet port is illuminated. I double checked all PCI-E connections on graphics card. I tried the alternate DVI port on card. No luck. I do not have another monitor so I cant troubleshoot the monitor. What should I do?

System Specs:

MOBO: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
CPU: i7-930
RAM: 6GB of Corsair XMS3
HDD: 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
Video Card: Gigabyte GTX-460 1GB
Asus VH242 Monitor
August 13, 2010 1:41:01 AM

try a different graphics card, your gfx card is most likely shot
m
l
August 13, 2010 1:49:15 AM

It's less than a week old, what could have caused it to quit working?
m
l
Related resources
August 13, 2010 2:01:38 AM

Manufacturing defects, overheating

do you game a lot?
m
l
August 13, 2010 2:08:37 AM

No, not at all. I haven't done anything on this computer except install some utilities and surf the internet. Could there be something on the MOBO that caused it to fail? I'd like to identify that so I don't just go plug in a new card and fry that one too.
m
l
August 13, 2010 2:37:56 AM

well if it was your mobo then the other parts would have messed up, ie CPU, RAM

but i am pretty sure it is probably the gfx card
m
l
August 13, 2010 3:02:11 AM

Check PSU? what brand/model
m
l
August 13, 2010 3:18:52 AM

Corsair TX650. Everything else is powered. No indication that the PSU has failed. The graphics card's cooling fans are still spinning.
m
l
!