Asus 5850 DirectCU available at the Egg while supplies last..

I love both brands to be honest, right now I am loving the low power draw and low temps of the 5850 but I also love the performance and scaling of the 470. You can't lose no matter which one you choose unless you are trying to break a record which in this case would favor the green team =)

As far as the DirectCU, yes. It can do 1000/1275 fairly easy with a voltage bump and it stays relatively cool.

They finally got some stock then...

Psycho still going nuts about the GTX470's then, perhaps on a mission to post something about a GTX470 in every post? :D

(BTW not bashing the GTX470, its a good card at a great price, at least in the US).

^@ calidus

The 5850 CU has a custom PCB, cooler, and is suppose to have a little more overclocking potential because of it. If I was looking at a 5850 I would prefer the inverted cooler on the Gigabyte card though. Of course, while the Gigabyte card has the same core speed, the ASUS card also has a good default overclock on the memory and the ASUS card has a 6-pin and 8-pin connector, as opposed to 2 6-pin connectors, to help it reach higher clock speeds, but honestly you would probably have to water cool it to make use of that :D

The DirectCU card is also one of very few custom HD5850s that allow for voltage increases of the core.
Also someone linked this in another thread;
http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/
It is from a month ago on the latest drivers(at the time) and shows the HD5850 outperforming the GTX 470 and the GTX 480 approximately tied with the HD5870. Are these numbers to be believed? Were the last ATI drivers a huge boost? Were the beta Nvidia drivers they were using just not fully baked or something?
Anyone have a more recent article on more recent drivers?

Asus claims that the DirectCU uses highly binned chips, not sure if this is true or false though..

@ megamanx00, the reason the DirectCU has an 8 pin is due to higher voltage threshold vs. a regular 5850. No need for water-cooling even at 1025/1300 1.28v since it tops out at around 68c (76/78F ambient). On the other hand it will hit 87F if I run an extreme burn-in (furmark) @ 1.28v or higher.

Here are some screenies :

21v_BC2.png

Dirt2_1025_1250_143v.png

As you can see it didn't even hit 65c @ 1.24v, I can go a bit higher but my ambient is too warm ATM.

notty22

Distinguished

ATI Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire vs. GeForce GTX 470 and Radeon HD 5850
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/ati_radeon_hd_5770_crossfire_vs_geforce_gtx_470_and_radeon_hd_5850,1.html
When testing these newer games we found that the Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire configuration outworked the GeForce GTX 470 and Radeon HD 5850. In fact, on average across the thirteen games tested the Radeon HD 5770 Crossfire cards were 17% faster than the Radeon HD 5850 and 9% faster than the GeForce GTX 470.
imho, any of those three gpu combos kick butt. With a single card you can o/c easier. The 470@607 and 5850@725 in those tests , if bumped a 100mhz would beat or tie both the 5770crossfire/5870.

Those numbers look more in line with other benchmarks. I wonder what is going on with the techspot article.
But yeah, both the HD5850 and GTX 470 OC a ton making them a better choice than 2 HD5770s even ignoring possible crossfire/SLI scaling/compatibility issues and the extra free slot as an upgrade path.

Where do you see the 5850 besting the 470?

LoL at teh GB OC version being half a frame faster than the regular 470 [:jaydeejohn:4]