4 +12v rails rated at 18amps each on a 700w can it power an ati 5770?

a1l3

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
my psu is a rocketfish 700w rated at 18amps per rail and im just wondering if that can power a 5770 graphic card ?

also wondering if when buying a graphic card does processor matter in requirements for example if the requirements for the graphic card are 2.4ghz will it still work on a 2.2 ghz system? if not would that lead to a non bootable pc(as in doesnt even go to bios)?

And would a socket 939 motherboard with ati x200 chipset have any problems running it? as i know it is atleast a 5 year old pc im not sure if the mobo can handle such a new card

Solution
Here is a review of your unit.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/05/13/getting_best_buy_on_power_supply/5

It can provide 18A max on one rail. But the 12V source feeding all the rails can only do "42.42A". This is much smaller then 18x4. (which is well above 700W as jsc pointed out.) Read that review carefully. I don't think the 5770 will stress it, and as long as you don't have "brown outs" in your area you should be ok. But I wouldn't put a demanding card in there and would probably swap it out for a better PSU when I could.
The PSU is big enough. There have been some issues with older motherboards running PCIe 2.1 cards but not so if the card you get is PCIe 2.0. If you have a single core s939 CPU then the card is going to have a bottleneck. The higher clocked dual core the better.

a1l3

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
well its a dual core 2.2ghz system im getting a problem that when i install it to the mobo it wont boot now i dont plan to use the card long term as im actually building something with a new mobo and such but im jsut trying to make sure the card works and dont want to send it back if it does and i just did something wrong.... thank you

Do you have the last BIOS for the board installed?

4745454b

Titan
Here is a review of your unit.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/05/13/getting_best_buy_on_power_supply/5

It can provide 18A max on one rail. But the 12V source feeding all the rails can only do "42.42A". This is much smaller then 18x4. (which is well above 700W as jsc pointed out.) Read that review carefully. I don't think the 5770 will stress it, and as long as you don't have "brown outs" in your area you should be ok. But I wouldn't put a demanding card in there and would probably swap it out for a better PSU when I could.

Solution