Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU question about AM2+ & AM3

Last response: in CPUs
October 23, 2010 9:35:30 PM

I know little about these machines, so please bear with me. Questions are, 1. if I have a processor that had a TDP of only 65 w, can I replace it with a processor that has a TDP of 95 w, if I match the fan and heatsink to the 95w TDP processor, and 2. I have been told that a processor designed to fit in an AM3 Socket has two fewer pins, than one designed to fit in an AM2+, and therefore a processor designed to it in an AM3 Socket, will fit in an AM2+ Socket. Is this true? thanks for any help you can offer. madisonbear.

More about : cpu question am2 am3

Best solution

a c 147 à CPUs
October 23, 2010 9:51:07 PM

1: What processor TDP you can install is a function of the motherboard and its cpu voltage regulation circuitry and not the fan/heatsink thou you do need a heatsync & fan capable of supporting your processor also. Please consult your manual/manufacturers website* for supported CPU's.

2: Incorrect somewhat. Its actually 3 fewer pins on an AM3 processor and yes they will fit an AM2/2+ socket but whether they funtion or not is dependant on the motherboard. Again, please consult your manual/manufacturers website* for supported CPU's.

* the manufacturers website would contain the most up to date supported CPU listing as the manual would likely have been printed before there were AM3 cpu's.
October 24, 2010 1:23:29 AM

madisonbear said:
I know little about these machines, so please bear with me. Questions are, 1. if I have a processor that had a TDP of only 65 w, can I replace it with a processor that has a TDP of 95 w, if I match the fan and heatsink to the 95w TDP processor, and 2. I have been told that a processor designed to fit in an AM3 Socket has two fewer pins, than one designed to fit in an AM2+, and therefore a processor designed to it in an AM3 Socket, will fit in an AM2+ Socket. Is this true? thanks for any help you can offer. madisonbear.

Okay, thanks for the information...finding the identification for the motherboard has so far eluded me, and gateway, the manufacturer is no help. I know it is on a sticker somewhere on the board. There is a sticker with a barcode above a long series of digits and letters.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2010 2:02:07 AM

The title of this topic has been edited by Mousemonkey
m
l
October 24, 2010 2:48:16 AM

Best answer selected by madisonbear.
m
l