Sign in with
Your question

Fan making loud noise.

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2010 1:00:07 AM

Hello there, recently I have heard a loud humming type noise from my computer which I bought from cyberpower over a little year now. This humming noise stays and goes. At time I hear it from 5mins+ then it goes away for a while and then comes back. It sounds like it's coming from the back fan of the computer but I am not entirely sure as it could be coming from somewhere else.

Can I open the case while the computer is running to see what the problem is and where it exactly is coming from? If I can do this without harm, should I turn the computer off, remove the side lid and then turn the computer on or can I just take it off?

Also, if it is the fan, what could be causing the fan to make the noise?

Help is greatly appreciated.

More about : fan making loud noise

October 24, 2010 1:05:09 AM

I think it is the bearings, buy a new one.

Take the side panel off the case, discover what fan is making the noise, and unplug it, if it is the CPU's fan, you will have to buy a new one, or stick it.

Yes you can open the computer without doing any harm, but watch out. Like dont let anything hit the mobo, etc.
a c 273 ) Power supply
October 24, 2010 3:00:55 PM

You can isolate which fan it is and simply push on the hub to reseat the bearing.In some cases you can peel the sticker/remove a rubber cap and oil the bearing with machine oil.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 24, 2010 3:27:44 PM

Just buy a new fan and replace it. There's no point of repairing it.
October 24, 2010 4:21:35 PM

Is it happening when PC is under load, or just random times?
It may be when the CPU fan is automatically speeding up. There may also be a lot of dust which make the fans make more noise.
October 24, 2010 4:23:43 PM

If it is when under load, what are the CPU temp (load and idle)?
!