Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H rev 2,2 and DDR3 1600

sunnyvaleapt

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello,
I had to adjust a Patriot Viper DDR1600 to 8,9,824 and 1.65 volts and a ram frequency multiplier to achieve 1600 ( MOBO detects as a DDR3 1033) . The problem is when I open any Hidef video or process Hidef ( Powerdirector 64) the video just hangs up ( I am using the onboard Radeon 4250). THe system works fine when it is detected at DDR3 1033..THinking of returning the MOBO to get Rev 3.1 or aASUS what do you guys think. By the way I have a AMD 965 CPU( 4 cores , Deneb, 3.4 Ghz).. Experts please avdvise...

Solution

This correct. However, the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. Even if the board supports 1600 MHz, the memory controller will still be the same and will still be the limiting factor. There is no current CPU with a memory controller rated to 1600 MHz. Many can run that fast but they are running out of spec (which is cool. Just not guaranteed). A different motherboard might allow the OP to...

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Try setting your memory clock to 1333 MHz (or lower), set your RAM voltage to "default" or "auto" and try that.

The memory controller (it's on your CPU die) is only rated to 1333. 1600 MHz is technically an overclock. So you aren't guaranteed the 1600 MHz even though your RAM is rated for it.

Changing the motherboard to rev 3.1 model is not going to change much as native memory support remains for 1333 MHz. You either need to change the board to some model which supports 1600 MHz natively (most Asus boards) or change the memory. If you are changing board then might as well look towards getting one with AM3+ support.

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

This correct. However, the memory controller is integrated into the CPU. Even if the board supports 1600 MHz, the memory controller will still be the same and will still be the limiting factor. There is no current CPU with a memory controller rated to 1600 MHz. Many can run that fast but they are running out of spec (which is cool. Just not guaranteed). A different motherboard might allow the OP to get this "overclock" stable but, again, it's not a guarantee. :)

Most people that I see running their RAM at 1600 have to loosen their timings to 9-9-9-something. You might have to tweak the voltage as well. You could give that a shot.

My advice is to get the system stable in-spec first before trying to get it to work out of spec. :)

Solution