1280x1024 on a Vaio A190 / A290

Hello

Does anyone have one of these laptops (1920x1200 native res. screen) running
in 1280x1024 in FULL screen (i.e. no black borders)?

If you do, I'd love to hear how you did it as mine refuses to go into
1280x1024 full screen. I called Sony and they say it's a limitation of the
panel but it seems strange as the DELL XPS units have the same res, same
video card and, according to their user groups, it is a limitation of the
ATI Mobility 9700

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

DM
2 answers Last reply
More about 1280x1024 vaio a190 a290

    Dangermouse wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Does anyone have one of these laptops (1920x1200 native res. screen)
    > running in 1280x1024 in FULL screen (i.e. no black borders)?
    >
    > If you do, I'd love to hear how you did it as mine refuses to go into
    > 1280x1024 full screen. I called Sony and they say it's a limitation
    > of the panel but it seems strange as the DELL XPS units have the same
    > res, same video card and, according to their user groups, it is a
    > limitation of the ATI Mobility 9700
    >
    > Any thoughts appreciated
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > DM

    Think about this: the widescreen is 16:9 format, and what you want is
    4:3 format which is doable if you accept the black borders required for
    a one to one pixel mapping. Making the transition to filling the screen
    wants in the horizontal direction 1280 pixels mapped onto 1920 pixels
    and in the vertical direction 1024 pixels mapped onto 1280 pixels.
    Neither of these mappings is integral so the resulting one pixel you
    want to see is mapped onto adjacent pixels you don't want to see so that
    a single pixel becomes a fuzzy blob, not to mention that a square
    becomes a stretched rectangle since the ratio 16/4 is not the same as
    9/3. There's no point to this mapping at all since users won't tolerate
    the reduction of fidelity.

    If you really want to do this, look in either BIOS setup, Sony Notebook
    setup, or the display properties for "screen expansion". You could also
    try using the Catalyst driver from ATI or the Omega driver (Google). Be
    prepared to fall back to Safe Mode if either of these fail to work so
    you can reinstall the OEM driver.

    Hi

    I have installed the Sony OEM, Omega and Catalyst drivers and they all do
    it.

    Reason I was interested is because thr DELL XPS Inspiron can do 1280x1024 on
    a 1920x1200 screen with the same video card. I was just curious to see if I
    could get the Vaio to do it as I'd like to run games at 1280x1024....at the
    moment, most games make me use 1024x768. I realise 1280 isn't native or the
    same aspect ratio but it would surely look better than 1024x768.

    Cheers

    > Dangermouse wrote:
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> Does anyone have one of these laptops (1920x1200 native res. screen)
    >> running in 1280x1024 in FULL screen (i.e. no black borders)?
    >>
    >> If you do, I'd love to hear how you did it as mine refuses to go into
    >> 1280x1024 full screen. I called Sony and they say it's a limitation
    >> of the panel but it seems strange as the DELL XPS units have the same
    >> res, same video card and, according to their user groups, it is a
    >> limitation of the ATI Mobility 9700
    >>
    >> Any thoughts appreciated
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> DM
    >
    > Think about this: the widescreen is 16:9 format, and what you want is 4:3
    > format which is doable if you accept the black borders required for a one
    > to one pixel mapping. Making the transition to filling the screen wants
    > in the horizontal direction 1280 pixels mapped onto 1920 pixels and in the
    > vertical direction 1024 pixels mapped onto 1280 pixels. Neither of these
    > mappings is integral so the resulting one pixel you want to see is mapped
    > onto adjacent pixels you don't want to see so that a single pixel becomes
    > a fuzzy blob, not to mention that a square becomes a stretched rectangle
    > since the ratio 16/4 is not the same as 9/3. There's no point to this
    > mapping at all since users won't tolerate the reduction of fidelity.
    >
    > If you really want to do this, look in either BIOS setup, Sony Notebook
    > setup, or the display properties for "screen expansion". You could also
    > try using the Catalyst driver from ATI or the Omega driver (Google). Be
    > prepared to fall back to Safe Mode if either of these fail to work so you
    > can reinstall the OEM driver.

Laptops Dell Studio Xps VAIO