Wep key doesnt enter correctly

G

Hello,
when i put my wep key in so that I may use my wireless printer, it tells me that the number isn't correct-it will show the wep key I typed in but it will also show 2 extra characters-and I didn't type those in. HELP!!

G

Why are you using WEP -- if you have the choice go with WPA PSK TKIP which is simpler, safer.

Maybe the issue you are having means you have an older version of XP -- install service pack 2 ?

Xstang

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Why are you using WEP -- if you have the choice go with WPA PSK TKIP which is simpler, safer.

Maybe the issue you are having means you have an older version of XP -- install service pack 2 ?

...you've got it the wrong way around. and older, pre service pack 2 build of WinXP should work fine with WEP- its wpa that old versions of windows have problems with.

That being said, yeah, you should just set your router as WPA-PSK if you can. A lot of newer devices-such as the iPad- do not work with wep, period.

G

The problem I came across with earlier XP version using Windows Zero Config produced precisely the OP's issue with password length.

Because the computer in question was too slow to work properly with later Service Packs installed, the solution was to use a Netgear wireless adapter with its own utilities.