Slow SSD / Crashing

warscythe

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
hey guys,

I have been trying various solutions for around a week now but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I'm literally out of ideas now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Asrock N68C-GS FX motherboard, with a Corsair Force 3 64GB SSD attached as well as a 2TB stock drive and a 2.5" 80GB hard drive for testing purposes.

The biggest issue I seem to have is I have been unable to find a way to enable ACHI on my BIOS settings, which is the main reason I think of the resulting issue. I ran HDTune to test my hard drives data transfer rates and results are as follows:

Standard Hard Drive - 116 MB/s
Laptop 2.5" Hard Drive - 46 MB/s
Solid State Drive - 96 MB/s

Now I also noticed my hard drive is a SATA 3 and the highest my board supports is SATA 2 which would result in some slowing down however to be slower than a standard hard drive?

I have installed the SSD Controller drivers from the Asrock website, I have also tried 'forcing' ACHI by running a fresh Windows 7 installation in RAID mode (Span, Striped, and mirrored) among the SSD and Standard Hard Drive which resulted in several blue screens.

I checked and changed cables and the SSD is in the priority slot. I have also tried enabling RAID mode in regedit too which resulted in more blue screens.

One thing to note also is that during one test the SSD 'disappeared' until I restarted the computer, it wasn't listed anywhere on device manager, no event viewer messages, no device manager driver or anything. I also checked the surface of all drives for bad sectors again using HDTune which found ) errors.

I have ran Memtest86 for 3 passes with 0 errors also. The entire system is less than 5 months old using brand new parts.

Can anyone please offer any solutions other than 'buy a new mobo' please? With christmas just around the corner and several companies playing catch with my wallet that isn't really an option right now.

You may have mixed up something here. Raid is not AHCI. Best way might be to start from scratch: disconnect the other drives, set AHCI in bios and install windows to the SSD. Make sure to have the Asrock AHCI driver on hand for installation.

warscythe

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Sorry I think I said it wrong, what I meant was I forced RAID mode in an attempt to force ACHI mode because I read that RAID defaults to ACHI?

In my BIOS settings on the storage section I only have options for IDE and RAID only.