Sign in with
Your question

USB Ports Not Working - High End Build 3 Mos Old

Last response: in Components
October 24, 2010 7:29:36 AM

Having an odd problem with all USB ports going out on my system. This is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UDR3 mobo in a system I built about 3 months ago. I've hooked up a PS2 mouse and keybd for now until I figure this out.

When I go to device manager under USB controllers, all ports have exclamations. If I right click/uninstall each port and then right click again and scan for hardware changes they will all come back working. When I reboot they all go out again until I repeat the uninstall/scan for changes procedure.

Ports are listed as: Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3A3A, 3C, 34 - 39
The 2 USB 3.0 ports don't seem to have a problem but I also have nothing in those ports to confirm that they work or not.

Also, during bootup, the USB ports seem to be working because I can get into bios with my wireless keyboard and my USB flash drive blinks. Once I get out of Bios the ports are not working. This is verified by hitting the F8 key to attempt to boot in safe mode and then the keyboard will not allow making selection with up/down arrow keys.

I have not yet overclocked this machine and the only Bios adjustment made was to get the RAM to run at 1600 mhz vs the 1033 it was running at when installed.

The only regular USB devices on this system are a wireless keyboard and USB Wacom tablet/mouse combo. Had also been running Synergy with another computer on the network with each computer having it's own monitor so you can move mouse from one computer to the other.

Other system components:

i7-930
G.Skill DDR3 1600 Ram, 6 x 4GB total (Model F3-12800CL7T-12GBTDD 2X)
MSI GeForce GTX 480
OS drive 300GB Veliciraptor
5 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB drives
Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W PSU
Win 7/64 Pro

Someone else has suggested reinstalling the OS to rule out viruses but I'm just checking around before going that route. I have no symptoms of any viruses.

** The only change I have detected in system operation is that on the Zalman fan control unit (ZM-MFC3) I have in a 5" bay is that the power load which usually runs at 210 - 215 Watts at idle has been running low at 185 - 188W.

Any other ideas as to what could be going on here?
October 24, 2010 11:10:35 PM

There may be a bios option to enable USB. Also, USB 3.0 is backwards compatable, so you could try your USB2.0 Devices in the 3.0 Ports
m
l
October 27, 2010 10:44:16 PM

Reinstalled OS and problem is fixed
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2010 12:56:30 AM

magnetman said:
Reinstalled OS and problem is fixed

i had the same problem, but after formating my hdd and reinstalling the OS. the same problem pop up again. did you install any of the gigabyte software like, easy tune 6 or smart 6?

plus does ur mobo read 1033 during first boot up? i had to up the frequency to 1600 in bios.

my spec:

i7-950
G.Skill DDR3 1600 Ram, 6 x 4GB total (Model F3-12800CL7T-12GBTDD 2X)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460
OS drive: WD Black Caviar
Cosair tx750
Win 7/64 Pro
m
l
November 15, 2010 1:10:44 AM

I've not had the problem reoccur. I did have the et 6 and smart 6 installed and I did reinstall both when I reloaded the Gigabyte software.

Yes my mobo does read 1033 after install and I set it to 1600mhz after

My gut say that it was just a corruption in Win 7 and not a hardware problem but you never know.

How long after your reinstall of the OS did the problem come back?

What are you using the system for and how much software is installed?

You have the UDR3 mobo as well?
m
l
November 15, 2010 1:20:27 AM

magnetman said:
I've not had the problem reoccur. I did have the et 6 and smart 6 installed and I did reinstall both when I reloaded the Gigabyte software.

Yes my mobo does read 1033 after install and I set it to 1600mhz after

My gut say that it was just a corruption in Win 7 and not a hardware problem but you never know.

How long after your reinstall of the OS did the problem come back?

What are you using the system for and how much software is installed?

You have the UDR3 mobo as well?

mmm, did u update any of win 7 updates to the latest?

i only have civ5 and sc2, plus p2p tv program. that about it. nothing too fancy. it mainly for gaming.

mmm not sure if it a hardware problem, seems like the controller for the usb2 ports are not working, would it be the memory issue?

the last time i had the same problem, i took out 1 of the ram, boot it and it ran fine, i had to plug it back in and uninstall the et6, and it ran when for days, except for the extreme long load screen during windows which got me to reinstall my os.
m
l
November 15, 2010 1:38:53 AM

I always update Win 7, I have it set to show me first what it wants to install for my approval

I'm not gaming, it's all Photoshop and video editing.

I'm not sure if the RAM would cause this. I bought my 2 sets of 12GB each about 30 days apart.

What Bios version R U running now?

Bottom line for me, I'm just going to wait and see if it happens again.
After I reinstalled my OS and lots of programs I went out and got another Veliciraptor drive and cloned the new setup.
If it happens again I'll try swapping in the clone and see what happens.
m
l
November 15, 2010 8:20:51 AM

manage to get the usb to work well. i deleted the et6 and smart6. i think it was conflicting with windows or something, and i set up the memory speed in MIT, dont set to auto as the mobo will keep changing it..

9.9.9.27 trfc 72 vol, 1.54 or 1.5 is working for me both, and weird the mobo up my cpu speed to 3.2 and my cpu temp avg is 50deg
m
l
!