Sign in with
Your question
Closed

5850 Crossfire issue (also temperature glitch?)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 1:27:11 AM

i7, 2x 5850

So I'm playing various Crysis mods and games, and for Crysis mods/Crysis, my fps dips into the low teens at 1080p.

I look in my GPU-Z, and it says my GPU-1 is at 90% load, and my GPU-2 is at 30% load. Is this normal? O_o

Edit: Also, sometimes my GPU shows 50% usage, and my 2nd GPU shows 0% usage. My CPU shows 25% usage (two cores being used at 50% or so).
However, despite this low hardware usage, my game still gets under 30fps according to fraps and tips into the teens.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:

I did another round of tests.
Sometimes both of my GPUs go to 90+% load and my frame rates are around 50ish.

Then sometimes my GPU load goes to around 20-30% for some reason, and my framerates are around 10-20ish.

My temps seem to be fine - HW monitor reads the 1st as maxing out at 87'C. GPU-Z reads the first at max of 87'C, the 2nd at 82'C.

However, for GPU #1, the separate temperature diodes (is this VRMS?) max out at 70ish'C, 100+'C, and 70ish'C.

I'm assuming the temperature sensor #2 is defective right? My GPU temp doesn't go over 87'C max, so the temperature can't be reading 100+ 'C.

(or maybe the temperature sensor is right, and it's causing my GPU to throttle?)

My GPU fans stay at around 30-40% speed.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UH = ultra high, VH = very high. So I tested my 5850s on Crysis: Warhead with the same UltraHigh gfx mod. For Warhead, it works perfectly. My GPUs are usually at 80-90% load, and I get a steady 40-50fps average.

However, crossfire is a bit glitchy. Sometimes the GPUs don't enable crossfire in Crysis-Warhead (one GPU stays at idle speeds while another goes to full load)...this is especially true if I alt tab to desktop. I end up having to disable and reenable Crossfire in order to get it to work.
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 2:45:23 AM

Hmm yeah there's something fishy there. Sounds like not enough PCIe lanes but given the i7 I can assume they should be running at 16x/16x. I guess you should verify that in GPUZ. Otherwise it could be a driver issue. Also, check Catalyst Control Center, there's a feature in the 3D tab called Catalyst AI. Try setting it to either Standard or Advanced and see if that helps.

Have you tried running the multi GPU FurMark? That should definitely get both GPUs up to max usage.

Also, if it's the original Crysis, it just does not like 4xAA at very high settings. It works great at 2xAA tho. Crysis Warhead on the other hand runs just fine at 4xAA.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 3:28:44 AM

I have a 1366 mobo, so both should be getting a full x16 bandwidth.
I checked in GPU-Z.

Both of them says PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0 in the "Bus Interface" section.

For drivers, I have the latest driver from June 1st I believe.

For the CCC, do you mean tweak around with the AA and AF settings?

I'll try running Furmark or 3D Vantage next...
Score
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 4:21:55 AM

Hmm interesting. Should be running well.

In CCC, the Catalyst A.I. is a specific setting that kind of controls how it runs crossfire. Some games benefit most on Advanced while others perform best on Standard. One game, Starcraft 2 beta, I had to disable it, which actually caused it to run single GPU. It's pretty odd.

Oh the other thing is, you have to download the "Crossfire application profiles" from ATI. It's stupid, they don't explain it or anything but yeah, it's pretty important from what I've come to understand. And the dumber part is that if you download a newer version of the profiles, you manually have to delete the old one - it doesn't copy over.

Anyway, hopefully something I've said helps :S
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 5:25:58 PM

I did another round of tests.
Sometimes both of my GPUs go to 90+% load and my frame rates are around 50ish.

Then sometimes my GPU load goes to around 20-30% for some reason, and my framerates are around 10-20ish.

My temps seem to be fine - HW monitor reads the 1st as maxing out at 87'C. GPU-Z reads the first at max of 87'C, the 2nd at 82'C.

However, for GPU #1, the separate temperature diodes (is this VRMS?) max out at 70ish'C, 100+'C, and 70ish'C.

I'm assuming the temperature sensor #2 is defective right? My GPU temp doesn't go over 87'C max, so the temperature can't be reading 100+ 'C.

(or maybe the temperature sensor is right, and it's causing my GPU to throttle?)

My GPU fans stay at around 30-40% speed.
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 5:53:51 PM

Are you running Crysis in fullscreen or windowed mode? Crossfire doesn't work in windowed mode.

I also had just resolved an issue with crossfire that was rather strange, and was resolved be removing 1 of the 2 bridges I had connected.
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 5:54:00 PM

Hmm could be throttling. Sounds like you must have overclocked them, mine run quite a bit cooler (like, 10C cooler at least) and that's with currently 960 core at 1.15V. I'll have to check the different GPU temps tonight tho I'm not really sure about that. What program are you using to see all of them? HWMonitor?
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 5:54:41 PM

bystander said:
Are you running Crysis in fullscreen or windowed mode? Crossfire doesn't work in windowed mode.

I also had just resolved an issue with crossfire that was rather strange, and was resolved be removing 1 or the 2 bridges I had connected.

Ah yeah that too! I was having issues with 2 bridges, works fine with one.
Score
July 8, 2010 6:46:38 PM

ditch the 5850's and get some GTX470's! there much faster than scale way better.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 7:41:21 PM

Hmmm, I do have 2 bridges connected (since it looks better than 1). Should I disconnect 1 of them? Which should I disconnect - the left one or the right one (left is closest to the edge, right is closer to the middle)?

As for throttling, I don't have anything OCed. Everything is at stock. The VID voltages are around 1v to 1.05v

optiv said:
ditch the 5850's and get some GTX470's! there much faster than scale way better.

Nah. Too hot for my case, too energy hungry for my PSU. Also, reviews show that the 5850s perform the same as the GTX470 in Crysis.
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 7:42:35 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
Too hot for my case, too energy hungry for my PSU.

Hmmm, I do have 2 bridges connected (cuz it looks better than 1). Should I disconnect 1 of them? Should I disconnect the left one or the right one? As for throttling, I don't have anything OCed. Everything is at stock.

Doesn't matter which one. Definitely give it a try with one. I actually did the same thing since yeah, looks cool with both. But it was effing up. Works great with one. Let me know if it works :D 
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 8:08:35 PM

Ok cool. I'll definitely try that.

ANy thoughts on my diode #2, (VRMs?) running at 100'C? I have it at stock speeds and have no idea why it's running so hot...
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2010 8:15:27 PM

optiv said:

Calm down, theres no logic , rhyme or reason, that someone would do this. Let the guy enjoy his purchase and work out his troubleshooting.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 7:50:38 AM

Back on topic...

When playing Crysis (patch 1.21) with two 5850s, ATI drivers 8.741.0.0 - catalyst 10.6

So when my 2x crossfired GPU is at 80-90% load, I'm getting 40-50 fps. However, the two GPUs sometimes goes to 30% load or lower for some reason, causing my fps to dip to 10s-20s.
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 2:53:38 PM

Ok so going to single CF bridge didn't help?

Well in that case I'm thinking that the really high temp reading is causing throttling, although it seems completely wrong. It could be that the heat sink isn't seated right so the GPU core is cooling but other components aren't getting the benefit and overheating. I don't really know what the different sensors are reading but it seems possible. Maybe the VRAM is getting too hot?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 6:44:18 PM

I turned up the fan to 50%, and the VRMs maxes out at 90'C... It still runs 10'C hotter than everything else, but it's no longer a throttling issue. Actually, what is the max VRMs temperature before it starts throttling?

Have you played Crysis @ VH or UH with your rig? Does your rig jump up and down from high load to low load or does it stay at a constant load?
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 9, 2010 6:57:39 PM

Not sure what you mean by VH or UH, sorry.

But yes I've played quite a bit of Crysis, and I haven't experienced much drop in GPU usage. Certainly not when FPS dropped, it was those times that they were working the hardest.

I think throttling starts at 100 or 110C
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 3:22:42 AM

UH = ultra high, VH = very high. So I tested my 5850s on Crysis: Warhead with the same UltraHigh gfx mod. For Warhead, it works perfectly. My GPUs are usually at 80-90% load, and I get a steady 40-50fps average.

However, crossfire is a bit glitchy. Sometimes the GPUs don't enable crossfire in Crysis-Warhead (one GPU stays at idle speeds while another goes to full load)...this is especially true if I alt tab to desktop. I end up having to disable and reenable Crossfire in order to get it to work.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2010 5:44:33 AM

You sure you have the 1.21 patch for Crysis?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 15, 2010 6:10:05 AM

yep, otherwise CCC and Mechwarrior Living Legends mod wouldn't install correctly.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 5, 2012 9:56:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!